Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssd external too much slow

external ssd spins at 40 mb/s both writing and reading 
ventura installation no problem what do you suggest someone solved
it without formatting everything again and reinstalling i tried 
to reinstall macos ventura but it always remains placed on that 
speed the machine is unstable it freezes none particular
program has anyone solved ? thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 9:44 AM

FYI, SSDs don't spin as there is no mechanical movement within them. How are you measuring the speed of the external SSD?

What is the exact make & model of the external SSD (provide a link if possible to the product page)?

How is it connected to the Mac?

What is the exact model of the Mac and version of macOS? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

What file system is being used on the external SSD?

Make sure to disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem. Connect the external SSD directly to the Mac. If you must use an adapter, then maybe try another adapter. Try using another USB port, if on a laptop, then on the other side of the laptop.

If you run the third party app EtreCheck it will provide the answers to some of these questions as well as allow us to see whether any third party installed apps may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS and also provide some information about the performance of your Mac which may be related to the SSD speed issues.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 9:44 AM in response to Maxgabr

FYI, SSDs don't spin as there is no mechanical movement within them. How are you measuring the speed of the external SSD?

What is the exact make & model of the external SSD (provide a link if possible to the product page)?

How is it connected to the Mac?

What is the exact model of the Mac and version of macOS? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

What file system is being used on the external SSD?

Make sure to disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem. Connect the external SSD directly to the Mac. If you must use an adapter, then maybe try another adapter. Try using another USB port, if on a laptop, then on the other side of the laptop.

If you run the third party app EtreCheck it will provide the answers to some of these questions as well as allow us to see whether any third party installed apps may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS and also provide some information about the performance of your Mac which may be related to the SSD speed issues.

Feb 15, 2023 1:52 AM in response to HWTech

I use external ssd with box usb 3.1

Before the speed were 350mb/s now is 40mb/s

Silicon power

SSD 512GB 3D NAND A55 SLC

Cache Performance Boost 2.5 Pollici

SATA III 7mm (0.28") SSD interno

I have the mediacom hub MB-C301 and box mediacom M-HDSB3AS

I think it's connected to usb 2.1 but in reality it can work in usb 3.1 I think it's the wrong driver maybe during installation

Feb 16, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Maxgabr

The System Profiler is showing the SSD is connected with a max transfer rate of 480Mb/s which is USB2. It may be as simple as the adapter, cable, or dock/hub/enclosure which is connecting the SSD. I tried to look up information about that JMicron USB chipset, but I'm not getting any specifications for it with a quick search. Make sure any adapters, docks, hubs, enclosures are USB3.

I cannot find any information about this, if this is a router, then it may only support USB2, I never recommend connecting drives to the USB ports of routers:

mediacom hub MB-C301

But this appears to be USB3:

mediacom M-HDSB3AS

ssd external too much slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.