Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my Mac I have an app running in the background named "Open"

It's an "Item from an unidentified developer" in my Allow in Background list. It's NAME is "open", all lower case. It's very suspicious. Search engines cannot deal with the name of a file called "open", so nothing comes up on a search. Anyone know what this app is?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 10:19 AM

FYI, This is a known issue regarding the new macOS Ventura System Settings for Background Apps configuration. @etresoft talked about this "Background Apps" System Settings panel in another thread. Seems like bringing this out to the user was not done well and Apple never provided any information about how to have their apps handle this new "feature" setting. Best to just ignore the Background Apps System Settings panel alone for now until Apple straightens things out with the feature and developer information. Sorry I don't have a link at the moment to the other thread where @etresoft discussed some these things.

The "open" is a lower level command line utility used to launch GUI based apps from the command line (perhaps can do more than GUI apps, but that is all I've ever used it for myself). Due to the improperly implement Background Apps feature in System Settings it is bringing up this utility without providing more information (@etresoft discussed why it does not have this information in the other thread).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 10:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

FYI, This is a known issue regarding the new macOS Ventura System Settings for Background Apps configuration. @etresoft talked about this "Background Apps" System Settings panel in another thread. Seems like bringing this out to the user was not done well and Apple never provided any information about how to have their apps handle this new "feature" setting. Best to just ignore the Background Apps System Settings panel alone for now until Apple straightens things out with the feature and developer information. Sorry I don't have a link at the moment to the other thread where @etresoft discussed some these things.

The "open" is a lower level command line utility used to launch GUI based apps from the command line (perhaps can do more than GUI apps, but that is all I've ever used it for myself). Due to the improperly implement Background Apps feature in System Settings it is bringing up this utility without providing more information (@etresoft discussed why it does not have this information in the other thread).

On my Mac I have an app running in the background named "Open"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.