Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud location switching of device names

My family currently has 4 iPhones and 2 iPads under my one iCloud/itunes account. Recently I have noticed when I go to find my iPhone 3 devices are showing the same device name and Whenever I try to change the the device back to use this device as my location then my other devices switches aswell never had this issue before, It's getting a bit annoying since I use this feature to keep a eye on my children’s location any help?

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 10:43 AM

This is because you use 1 Apple ID for several different people.

That's why it doesn't work. The reason it goes wrong is because your Apple ID thinks it's your own iPhone that you're trying to share your location from - therefore it only shows the one you've chosen. In general, it is not optimal, or in any way intended for several people to use the same Apple ID. You will only experience problems with that solution, and you have already encountered the first one.

If you want to solve your problem, you must create 1 Apple ID for each person. You can of course keep your current self, but create a new one for your children. Once you have created an Apple ID for them and signed in on their iPhone, you can use Family Sharing to keep track of which apps they can download, just as they can use the ones you have already purchased on your current Apple ID. You can also follow your children in People in the Find app, set screen time restrictions, etc.

First, create an Apple ID for each of your children (Under 13 years):

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for each of your children (Over 13 years):

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Read more about Family Sharing here:

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Read how to share location with your family here:

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Hadzee1983

This is because you use 1 Apple ID for several different people.

That's why it doesn't work. The reason it goes wrong is because your Apple ID thinks it's your own iPhone that you're trying to share your location from - therefore it only shows the one you've chosen. In general, it is not optimal, or in any way intended for several people to use the same Apple ID. You will only experience problems with that solution, and you have already encountered the first one.

If you want to solve your problem, you must create 1 Apple ID for each person. You can of course keep your current self, but create a new one for your children. Once you have created an Apple ID for them and signed in on their iPhone, you can use Family Sharing to keep track of which apps they can download, just as they can use the ones you have already purchased on your current Apple ID. You can also follow your children in People in the Find app, set screen time restrictions, etc.

First, create an Apple ID for each of your children (Under 13 years):

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for each of your children (Over 13 years):

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Read more about Family Sharing here:

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Read how to share location with your family here:

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

iCloud location switching of device names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.