Watch Double Pinch is not working while trying to dismiss notifications

Hello,

I have quick action turned on , however when i try to dismiss a notification, answer a call, take a selfie using the double pinch on my watch nothing is happening although i have double pinch action part of assistive touch and the clock is responding to this move but for some reason quick action isn't working with me

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 6:47 AM

I recently just got the new iWatch Series 9 but every time I try the double tap with my index finger and thumb, I am not able to answer calls. I've followed the steps above through the settings on the watch itself - I have it available for all times. How else can I troubleshoot to utilize this new feature? I do not see the blue double tap icon either.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 6:47 AM in response to melissa_m77

I recently just got the new iWatch Series 9 but every time I try the double tap with my index finger and thumb, I am not able to answer calls. I've followed the steps above through the settings on the watch itself - I have it available for all times. How else can I troubleshoot to utilize this new feature? I do not see the blue double tap icon either.

Oct 25, 2023 6:35 PM in response to melissa_m77

Think you’re missing the MichaelCooley’s point. Please re-read the ‘MichaelCooley’ thread [Not the first or neither the last time].

We’re up here. We are not ID10Ts. We all have it turned on at this point and don’t need to know where the settings are. It’s easy to search swiping down on the settings page.

What we are having issues with properly executing the tap/pinch [which is it?] repeatable, not whether it’s on or off. It works sometimes.

There is a nuanced detail to ‘tap/pinch’ the watch is expecting. I’m not getting it and have yet to figure it out and make it repeatable. It works for me sometimes, though always on. I can tap/pinch several times before it executes, sometimes I give up. I haven’t found anything about this detail online that address this and I’ll keep looking.

There seems to be an expectation of ‘knowing’ the double pinch. Palm up? Down? Arm up? Down? Pinch speed? When it works for me I have no idea what I did.

Clear as mud?

Going out on a limb here with inference to MichaelCooley’s thread.

☮️🇺🇦🇮🇱🇵🇸☮️

Nov 7, 2023 10:18 PM in response to Michealcooly

Try using these ways to fix this issue.

1. Enable Wake on Wrist Raise mode on your Apple Watch. Go to Settings >>> Scroll down and click on Display & Brightness >>> Turn on Wake on Wrist Raise. It allows your Apple Watch's screen to wake up whenever you raise your wrist.

2. Wrist Detection is essential in the Double Tap feature on your Apple Watch. When you raise your wrist, Apple Watch's Waist Detection calls the screen.

3. If your Apple Watch still needs to be upgraded to the latest version of watchOS, you should update your watchOS. It should fix any glitches related to double tap not working on your Apple Watch.

4. You might wonder to hear this, but tattoos may cause difficulties for your Apple Watch. Apple Watch's capacitive touch sensors may face problems detecting touches through tattooed skin. You should ensure your tattooed wrist does not hinder the capacitive touch sensors of the Apple Watch.

Mar 2, 2023 11:05 AM in response to melissa_m77

I've had the similar issue as the original poster. For a few days after i got my series 8 apple watch, double pinch to dismiss notifications was working. Then double pinch would no longer work for dismissing notifications, although double pinch continued to work for other interactions (e.g start/stop podcast, move front/back)

After initial reboot of the watch, the double pinch started working again for dismissing notifications, but again stopped after a couple of days. Subsequent reboots, and turning assistive touch off/on did not correct the issue.

Feb 15, 2023 12:17 PM in response to Michealcooly

Hello Michealcooly,

It sounds like you're having trouble using some Assistive Touch features on your Apple Watch.

1. Check out this article for help with setting up Quick Actions and selecting the correct options:

Use AssistiveTouch on Apple Watch - Apple Support

1. Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
2. Go to Accessibility > Quick Actions, then choose an option.
You can choose to have quick actions available at all times, available only when AssistiveTouch is enabled, or off. You can also choose Full appearance (a banner appears and the action button is highlighted) or Minimal appearance (the action button is highlighted with no banner).

2. Then, take a look he.er for more details about quick actions when you receive alerts:

Use AssistiveTouch on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use quick actions when you receive alerts
Quick actions help you respond when your Apple Watch shows an alert. For example, when you have an incoming call, a prompt lets you know that you can double clench to answer it. You can also use quick actions to snooze an alarm or stop a timer. To dismiss the quick action, perform a double-pinch gesture.
To turn on or turn off quick actions, go to Settings > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch > Hand Gestures > Quick Actions.

Take care.

Oct 28, 2023 5:45 AM in response to lyndsay1988

lyndsay1988 wrote:

lindsay1988 you have tagged onto this Assistive Touch on Watch SE thread to discuss the new Double Tap which only came in stream with OS 10.1 and only on series 9 and Ultra 2

Its why it is better to start your own discussion

Double Tap should now work in OS10.1 to dismiss calls etc.

Jul 29, 2023 7:46 PM in response to Michealcooly

Same issue as op.

I sent the following feedback to https://apple.com/feedback:

Double pinch gesture doesn't work. All other gestures work in every circumstance. I tested all of the gestures in Settings > Assistive Touch > Hand Gestures > Learn more... and all gestures work 100% of the time except for double pinch which wouldn't work once. This is the same issue as 50 others on discussions.apple.com

Also:

1. My Watch is a series 8, the watchOS is 9.6 (20U73) but your watchOS version selector drop-down menu only goes up to 9.4

2. My iPhone is a 14 Pro Max, the iOS is 16.6 (20G75) but your iOS version selector drop-down only goes up to 16.4.1

Jul 30, 2023 12:45 AM in response to zXMalachiXz

zXMalachiXz wrote:

Same issue as op.

I sent the following feedback to https://apple.com/feedback:

Also:
1. My Watch is a series 8, the watchOS is 9.6 (20U73) but your watchOS version selector drop-down menu only goes up to 9.4

2. My iPhone is a 14 Pro Max, the iOS is 16.6 (20G75) but your iOS version selector drop-down only goes up to 16.4.1

It is not our dropdown selector, we are users like you, it is Apple's dropdown selector and I have been complaining about that for many years. They can be 3 months out of date quite often.

Do not enter the OS versions in the dropdown, simply state it in the text of the bug report.

Oct 28, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Chdmnky

Chdmnky wrote:

I don’t think you want Assitive Touch to be on. Instead, go to Settings on your watch and scroll down to Gestures> Double Tap and turn it on.

Double Tap is a feature only available on Watch series 9 and Ultra 2. You may be confusing that with the original question from February about assistive gesture double pinch on OS9. on a Watch SE.

May 2, 2024 3:18 PM in response to Mylo5191

I have the Apple Watch SE. My double tap worked until last week. Around April 25th 2024. The prompt showed briefly, then went away. Haven't seen it since, and the double no longer works. If what you say is true, then mine would have quit working months ago. But I have no clue what happened. I may have to call Apple Support.

Watch Double Pinch is not working while trying to dismiss notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.