Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery key

This question was it answered very well, two years ago, with the recovery key set up on my new phone in order to get my old iPod touch to work. The problem now is that the old iPod touch only needs 12 numbers for the recovery key and my new iPhone is giving me a 24 digit recovery key. What can I do?

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 6:35 PM

Good evening MissOrlando,

It might be helpful for you to speak directly with an Apple advisor about this issue. Click the link below, choose the phone number for your region from the list, and call when it is convenient.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Take care.

4 replies

Feb 15, 2023 3:10 PM in response to MissOrlando

Hi MissOrlando,

We see you have a question about a recovery key, and want to get some information to see how we can help. First, we want to make sure we have a full understanding of what you're doing when you're prompted to enter a code. Are you trying to sign in on the iPod touch?

Also, which software version are you using on the iPod touch under Settings > General > About? Depending on exactly what's happening and your account setup, the software version could be a factor in how to proceed.

Also, can you let us know the exact wording of any messages you see related to recovery keys, and whether you're using two-step verification? The recovery key for two-step verification should be 14 characters as shown in this link: Two-step verification for Apple ID. On the other hand, if you use two-factor authentication, you'd use a 28-digit recovery key: How to generate a recovery key

The text below is from the resource on two-step verification, and it may help you work out more about the specific type of code you need:

Is two-step verification the same as two-factor authentication?

No. Two-factor authentication is a newer security method that's built directly into iOS, macOS, tvOS, watchOS, and Apple’s websites. It offers a more streamlined user experience and is required to use certain features that call for enhanced security. Two-factor authentication is available to iCloud users with at least one device using iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan or later.

If you have Apple devices that can be updated to iOS 9 or later or OS X El Capitan or later, you should set up two-factor authentication instead. If you use two-step verification for your Apple ID, and then you upgrade to iOS 11 or later, or macOS High Sierra or later, your security settings may be automatically upgraded to two-factor authentication.

Two-step verification is an older security method that is available to users who don’t have Apple devices, can’t update their devices, or are otherwise ineligible for two-factor authentication. You can no longer set up two-step verification for your Apple ID, but if you already use it, you can keep using it. 

Let us know if that helps to get you set up. Take care.

Feb 15, 2023 6:23 PM in response to ryane77

Hi,

Never mind, the following is what I thought I did. This is very confusing. Please tell me which one I am supposed to do.:

I am trying to get my very old iPod to upload pictures on it to the cloud. I put my Apple ID password in and it says the password is incorrect.

the iPod is using iOS 5.1.1.

when I click to continue without being able to sign in, the “enter recovery key window” pops up with space enough for 12 symbols, not 24 symbols.

it also says I do not have 2factor authorization enabled (which I do).

I read the original article saying if 2factor authorization does not work I need to set up recovery key authentication. I then set it up with my iPhone 13promax but the recovery key is 24 characters and the old iPod is only accepting 12 characters. I then came here for answers.

The other message I get on the iPod is there are no trusted devices

Recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.