Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certificate trust button

On iPhone SE 2022 there is no button to turn off Mcafee Certificate. It is poping up on my screen message about hotmail.com and then Mcafee certificate. Could you give me advice on how to get rid scree messages every 30 min.

Thank you

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 4:24 PM

23 replies

Feb 14, 2023 4:54 PM in response to genekir93

Use the above to remove any added management profile, and then remove any added McAfee apps.

If there are any McAfee apps installed, one or more of those is seemingly intercepting and reading your mail, and failed.

Add-on anti-malware apps cannot scan an iPhone.

The add on “security” apps can try to intercept your mail and other traffic, though.

Feb 15, 2023 5:56 AM in response to andreafarley

As MrHoffman asked, are you connected to a school or business network, or is your iPhone a kind of work phone?

Also try going to:

Settings > Mail > Accounts

Do you have a Hotmail set up? If so, delete it. Then try going to:

Settings > General > Profiles or Profiles & Device Management - Is the profile gone from your iPhone?

Feb 15, 2023 7:18 AM in response to genekir93

To confirm… You installed this add-on anti-malware app on a second and different system (a Mac), and not on this iPhone, and are getting this on an iPhone that did not have that stuff installed?

Did you also install or configure McAfee on your local Wi-Fi router, too? Does this same error happen when connected via cellular, or via an unrelated Wi-Fi network. Is this error tied to your.Wi-Fi network?

A second computer should not be involved here, not unless it is somehow still hijacking local network traffic, and a second and separate system should not be doing that. Not unless McAfee was also installed in this iPhone, or was configured on this iPhone, or was configured on a shared component such as the Wi-Fi router.

Feb 15, 2023 7:17 AM in response to genekir93

Okay, you have no configuration profiles. Try going to: Settings > Mail > Accounts

If you have an Outlook/Hotmail, try deleting it. See if that fixes the problem. After that you can set it up again, see how here. If the problem comes up again, please let us know.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-your-outlook-com-account-to-another-mail-app-or-smart-device-73f3b178-0009-41ae-aab1-87b80fa94970

Feb 15, 2023 8:04 AM in response to Community User

JS-fromDK wrote:

If you have an Outlook/Hotmail, try deleting it. See if that fixes the problem.

FWIW, it is unlikely Hotmail will be using a McAfee cert, and there’s no means to add a cert into an iPhone mail account setup, save via MDM profile. This is why I’m “digging” in the router, and in connection-common devices in the path to Hotmail here.

Feb 15, 2023 5:11 PM in response to MrHoffman

I have exactly the same problem. Spent 1 hour with Apple Support yesterday. I made sure I iOS was current, checked that iOS carrier setting was current, force restart Mail app, removed all email accounts, reset iPhone (wi-fi setting), restarted my phone. Nothing helped. The error message is still there on iPhone and iPad. Apple Support suggested I contact Outlook. SOOOO frustrating!

Feb 16, 2023 1:09 AM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman wrote:

FWIW, it is unlikely Hotmail will be using a McAfee cert, and there’s no means to add a cert into an iPhone mail account setup, save via MDM profile. This is why I’m “digging” in the router, and in connection-common devices in the path to Hotmail here.

It also makes good sense. I've also seen the other threads and it seems everyone with that problem is using a hotmail/outlook email, so my thought was that the new update has changed "something" - that meant a fresh setup could be the solution. But it seems like it's a bit more advanced than that.

Feb 14, 2023 4:38 PM in response to genekir93

To remove the Configurations Profile, go to:

Settings > General > Profiles or Profiles & Device Management.

Find the profile and delete it immediately. Do you use a McAfee app?

Certificate trust button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.