Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable auto airplay to nearby HomePods

I bought my son a HomePod for his room, which is next to our room. I put him to bed and start the homepod playing music. I leave his room and hang out in the living room for a few hours, then go to my bedroom, pull out my phone wanting to listen to a podcast and hit play, not realizing it’s playing to his homepod.

The UI for controlling nearby devices is horrendously confusing and I have made this mistake for the 10th time now, waking my sleeping child to podcasts. I’m at my whits end and cannot figure out how to disable nearby HomePod control.

Just cause I walk up and tap a homepod, or speak to it, does NOT mean I want my phone’s apps to play audio to there from then on.

I do I disable this?

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 7:02 PM

Thanks for your efforts, but non of that addresses my issue.

I know how airplay works, and I’m not using handoff… I don’t bring my phone anywhere near the homepod. My phone just automatically changes my apps (podcasts, music) to controlling my sons AirPods without my doing. It does this in the background.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2023 7:02 PM in response to Eric_G1

Thanks for your efforts, but non of that addresses my issue.

I know how airplay works, and I’m not using handoff… I don’t bring my phone anywhere near the homepod. My phone just automatically changes my apps (podcasts, music) to controlling my sons AirPods without my doing. It does this in the background.

Feb 15, 2023 6:48 PM in response to FumDuk

Hello FumDuk,

This page here can help out with providing info on playing audio from the iPhone on a HomePod: Play audio from iPhone on HomePod and other wireless speakers - Apple Support

Play audio from iPhone on a wireless device
1. On your iPhone, open an audio app, such as Podcasts  or Music , then choose an item to play.
2. Tap the Playback Destination button, then choose a playback destination.
The playback controls for a podcast, including the Playback Destination button at the bottom of the screen.
Note: If your AirPlay 2-enabled devices don’t appear in the list of playback destinations, make sure they’re on the same Wi-Fi network. With a Bluetooth device, the playback destination returns to iPhone if you move the device out of Bluetooth range.
To select the playback destination, you can also tap the Playback Destination button on the Lock Screen or in Control Center.
Note: For information about setting up a Bluetooth audio device, see Pair a Bluetooth headphone, car kit, game controller, or other device.

Those steps will help to show where the audio is set to output from, and change it if needed.

The page also helps to note how to disable Handoff between the iPhone and HomePod:

Hand off audio from iPhone to HomePod
While playing audio from Music, Podcasts, or another audio app, bring iPhone close to the top of HomePod.
Audio hand off has the following requirements:
You must be signed in with the same Apple ID on both devices.
On your iPhone, you’ve turned on Wi-Fi and Handoff.
iPhone and HomePod must be in the same HomeKit home and on the same Wi-Fi network.
Your devices must have Bluetooth turned on in Settings  and be within Bluetooth range of one another (about 33 feet or 10 meters).
To disable Handoff between iPhone and HomePod and other devices, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.

Cheers.

Disable auto airplay to nearby HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.