Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does an attachment goes if I simply open it in iPhone and iPad?

If I open an attachment in Gmail or Apple Mail or Whatsapp, etc. and after reading it simply close the same. What will happen next? Do I need to download it again if I want to read it or is it saved by default at some place, consuming some memory... Also, how can I clean such temporary files on my iPhone and iPad?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 3:13 PM

My issue is a bit different, I know how to save but I need to know where it is saved by default if I simply open it without saving it, and if I want to clean up that space how to do it.

As it feels my iPhone memory gets used up in such temporary files if I simply open it and not save it.

3 replies

Feb 16, 2023 9:26 AM in response to sukantg86

Greetings Sukantg86,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

We'd like to provide you with a few steps that can assist you with downloading the attachments that you receive:

"Download an attachment sent to you

Touch and hold the attachment, then choose Save Image or Save to Files.

If you choose Save Image, you can find it later in the Photos app. If you choose Save to Files, you can find it later in the Files app.

An email attachment is selected with possible actions listed. The options include Quick Look, Markup and Reply, Save Image, Save to Files, Share, and Copy.

Tip: To open the attachment with another app, tap Share , then choose the app."

More details here: Download email attachments in Mail on iPhone

Take care.

Where does an attachment goes if I simply open it in iPhone and iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.