Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain WatchOS 9.3.1

Had a problem with battery drain when updating to second last version which was fixed in version 9.3. After updating to version 9.3.1 yesterday, the drain returned. Anyone with the same experience?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 9:08 AM

36 replies

Feb 19, 2023 3:06 AM in response to Rog_kar

Ensure iphone is in iOS16.3.1

Always update the iphone first, the updates come out in pairs.

Watch uses a LOT of battery 

Force restart your watch i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

Then make sure to turn off background app refresh and  check walkie talkie is not accidentally turned on. 

Try it for a couple of days especially if you sync photos to your Watch.

Then if still no better you can check for damaged or self-discharging battery... 

How to check your Apple Watch battery fo… - Apple Community

If it’s OK 

Unpair the watch and then pair it again. 

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

If it still discharges unpair it and pair it again without restoring the backup. 

Check that the iPhone is not using any security apps or VPN that can affect apps on the Watch. You don't need any of them and they can be incompatible with iOS16 on the phone. 

see also 

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple (UK)

Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (UK)

Feb 19, 2023 8:59 AM in response to LD150

I am very thankful for your help and insights.

No, you’re right. I did not go through all the steps w support. I tried some steps on my own (unpairing, resetting etc). I tried the hard reboot today. Although it is too soon to tell if that was successful or not, it looks somewhat promising…

If needed I’ll go through the steps again.

Feb 21, 2023 5:10 AM in response to Alexdeav

24 Hours? The subject of this thread is Series 7. They are not supposed to last 24 hours.

Apple Watch not Ultra - up to 18 hours

Apple Watch Ultra - up to 36 hours but only if out on extreme expedition

The recommendation is still charge all night every night if you want the battery tp last a couple of years or whenever you can if using Sleep Monitoring.

Whenever the Watch or iphone is sitting around doing nothing it is using battery that needs to be charged up again and it is the effective total of full charge cycles that ages batteries.

If you left an Apple device on charge 24x7 the battery health would stay near 100% forever. Extrapolate down from that fact.

Mar 4, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Sherlea

Interesting, worked for me just great. You probably restored the watch from iCloud copy and the bug itself returned back. Try to erase the watch (you can always return to its' current state later) and see if that worked for you. So just unpair the watch, hard reset it, pair it again, but don't restore it to the latest state, start it fresh, new, clean. See if that works for you. If it works, that means it's clearly just a software bug, if not - hardware problem. you can try contacting Apple to diagnose the watch in that case. At least you will be able to know which option fits in your case.

Apr 3, 2023 3:08 PM in response to Rog_kar

hugh battery drain, sometimes within 4 hours. Noticed the drainage the following day after update 9.3. Oddly nothing happened to my husbands watch. We have the same watch and settings. Took to the Genius Bar, they said the Bluetooth is pulling in the battery. Suggested that I turn off notifications, alerts, etc. my response was “why have the watch?”. I have unpaired it several times. Nothing id working! Thoughts?

Apr 3, 2023 3:30 PM in response to Bunnyrob

Hi, I took my watch to apple and they really have no answer..

Maybe we should reboot which I did and set back to factory settings... wiping clean.

Now it's worse then ever... I had to purchase a new watch... I know other people who also

Have the same issue... I spent two hours at the store and another 2 on the phone... no one could help me...

Sad... there was nothing wrong with my watch before upgrade..

Battery drain WatchOS 9.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.