You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New updates for older watches?

Hi, I have an apple watch series 2 and it has been running Watch OS 6.3 for quite a while. With the new security updates for iphones and watches this week I was hoping it might get a new update. It looks like the info on these updates only lists watch series 4 and newer. For others with series 2 or similar, what is the newest iOS you have been able to pair with?

I kept my iphone 6s that is running iOS 15.1 and don't use it as my everyday phone, just keep it like an ipod to keep the watch active.

From what I understand, if I allow the phone to update to a newer operating system it will not be compatible with the watch anymore.

Does anyone have any experience using these watches with a phone running a newer operating system?

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 6

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 6:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 6:29 AM

Iphone 6S will not update beyond iOS15

Watch series 2 will not update beyond OS6.3

So neither is undateable.

Chances are OS6.3 does not have the vulnerability identified in OS9

Similar questions

1 reply

New updates for older watches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.