Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This oft reported Billing Problem email

This question seems to be an oldie-but-a-goodie.

:::

I have received an email from no_reply@email.apple.com stating:

There is a problem with your payment method which may prevent the renewal of this subscription. To avoid losing access to your service, update your payment information.

:::

And then the suspicious button says "Fix <methodOfPayment>", whether it be Visa, M/C, Paypal, Discover, or other.

The email in question says it is from noreply@email.apple.com.

Seems scammy.

My questions are:

Is this email address valid?

The support pages do not confirm or deny that it is.

They just say to report the emails to reportphishing...

How would someone know what recent Apps I have purchased or subscribed to?

Should I be worried about the integrity and privacy of the Apps mentioned in the email?

They are Apps that are from legit companies and millions of users.

One would think that if there were problems with the AppStore billing, some notification would be made available in the AppStore app itself, on the device used, not some random email.

There has to be more information regarding this type of email scam.

Emails have been reported.

So weird.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 9:30 AM

I don't think Apple would send out an email of that sort. Apple tends to rely on notifications appearing as pop-ups when you are trying to do something. I regard any email from "Apple" as suspicious unless I am anticipating it. I then verify anything it is saying by logging into my account myself and not using any links in the email.

Remember that email is free. If they charged a penny per email I bet spam would go way, way down. The people phishing don't mind sending email to 50,000 people. One of them have bought that app and may fall for it then they that's a nice return for little effort.

Also see:

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

RRecognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2023 9:30 AM in response to I_am_not_Bob

I don't think Apple would send out an email of that sort. Apple tends to rely on notifications appearing as pop-ups when you are trying to do something. I regard any email from "Apple" as suspicious unless I am anticipating it. I then verify anything it is saying by logging into my account myself and not using any links in the email.

Remember that email is free. If they charged a penny per email I bet spam would go way, way down. The people phishing don't mind sending email to 50,000 people. One of them have bought that app and may fall for it then they that's a nice return for little effort.

Also see:

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

RRecognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

Feb 16, 2023 9:04 PM in response to I_am_not_Bob

I compared the message source of the weird email to a known Apple Store receipt message source.

Comparable and valid.

Passed them through various email header message analyzers. Both OK,

except for the warnings about pasted dkim signatures.

Who knew that Apple's server ip's get traced to some place remote in the middle of Kansas, USA !!!

Probably buried in some old missile silo or some freak's nuclear bunker.

So, Apple's App Store subscription service probably had a glitch.

It was acting weird when I was checking my AppStore purchases and subscriptions immediately after getting the email.

Who else could know what upcoming subscriptions are due for payment within a week?

Then it was working fine five-ten minutes later.

Could have been some DevOp with fingers too big for his iPhone Mini while updating the AppStore service backend while sitting on the toilet or something.

Yet, there was no way I was going to click on the "Fix <merchantCard>" button in the email.

What a dumb idea.

Yet, the actual AppStore receipt email has links for the user to go account settings, check history, sign up for a credit card, da, da, ta, blah.

Maybe someone did find a way to hack this?

Hope it doesn't happen again.

This could turn into a long, dark, rabbit hole.

This oft reported Billing Problem email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.