Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone repair is taking way too long

Hi,

I'm wondering how long it usually takes to get my iPhone repair/replace by Apple. Here's my situation:

• I bought an iPhone 14 Pro from Bangkok in Oct 2022.
  • I moved to NYC, and in late Jan 2023 my ultrawide & tele rear cam stopped working.
  • I handed in the iPhone for repair at the Apple Store in NYC on Feb 7th, 2023. At first, the technician said she can do the repair onsite, but then before she proceeded she said that the system told her to send it for repair at other facility. She told me that it will take 3-5 days and gave me a loaner phone (iPhone XR).
  • On Feb 9th, I got a notification that "Your replacement product is on its way." I didn't understand that so I went to the same Apple Store. A technician told me that it meant Apple would send me a new phone instead. That shouldn't take long (1-2 days).
  • On Feb 12th, I still didn't get any notification to pick up my phone, so I contact Apple Support via chat. The staff then sent someone to talk to me via phone, and that person told me that it should take 1-2 days (again) for my phone to arrive at the store.
  • Now it's Feb 16th; still no response. I check the repair status page everyday, and the status remains the same for a week now ("February 9, 2023 | Your replacement product will be shipped to you soon.")

I've tried asking both the staff at the Apple Store and the Apple Support chat again, but no one can tell me what is happening nor provide a more concrete timeline. They all said that all I can do is to wait, and they keep sending me bouncing between talking to the store and to the support.

Can anyone provide any insights as to why it is taking this long and how else I can get a more concrete information about this? The lack of my original phone is starting to affect my work and daily life.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 5:13 PM

Update: It's been 2 full weeks since I gave my phone to the store. I still haven't received my phone back.

In fact, there has been zero status update from the repair facility. The latest update was on Feb 9th, and the status has been the same since then ("We’ll replace your product. - Your replacement product will be shipped to you soon.")

It's hard to believe there is no update/status change whatsoever for 12 days now, let alone getting my phone back.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 5:13 PM in response to ww1991

Update: It's been 2 full weeks since I gave my phone to the store. I still haven't received my phone back.

In fact, there has been zero status update from the repair facility. The latest update was on Feb 9th, and the status has been the same since then ("We’ll replace your product. - Your replacement product will be shipped to you soon.")

It's hard to believe there is no update/status change whatsoever for 12 days now, let alone getting my phone back.

Feb 18, 2023 6:24 PM in response to ww1991

Hi,

It sounds as if there is a repair and/or shipping delay. Since you started the repair at the ARS, they will be your primary point of contact for all repair status requests. However, you may contact Apple Support with your Repair ID to have someone take a look into the repair status and see if there is an update available, and/or contact the ARS for you for an update. Your repair ID will start with an R.

If you received the confirmation email that your replacement product is on its way to you, it should have included tracking information. You could also contact the carrier for status updates if the product has already left Apple.

Feb 18, 2023 8:34 PM in response to ww1991

Hi,

Do you see your original serial number and IMEI in the email, as well as the replacement serial number and IMEI? Both should be listed if your device was replaced. The tracking number/shipping information should also be listed.

The turnaround time varies based on the type of repair that was set up, and if there were any delays. Since you received a loaner phone, i assume the ARS set up a mail-in repair. This is where the product is shipped to Apple to be repaired or replaced, and then a replacement device or the same device is shipped back to either the ARS or to your preferred address. Standard turnaround time would be about a week, in my experience.

Feb 19, 2023 8:26 AM in response to ww1991

Not necessarily. It's entirely up to Apple.

The problem here is that the model you have is not sold in the US. Only simple things like a screen or battery replacement can be done in the US. Anything more involved can only be done in the country where it was originally sold as those 'repairs' are actually complete device replacements, not 'repairs'.

You're lucky that Apple in the US agreed to facilitate the service at all as the warranty and AppleCare are often not honored in countries other than where the device was originally sold.

Feb 19, 2023 6:19 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the insight!

So you are saying that the warranty is not global, right? That's surprising, given Apple's marketing positioning as a relatively high-end brand compared to other consumer electronics brands. I mean in this day and age people travel around the world all the time, and Apple has presence in every major city in the world so of course consumers would expect their Apple phone to be covered globally.

Another frustrating aspect to this is that once the store accept to repair my phone and said upfront that it would take 3-5 days, it should try to honor that. If I knew that it would take this long (of course the store knows my iPhone is international), I wouldn't let them do the repair in the first place and seek alternative solution instead.

Feb 19, 2023 6:50 PM in response to ww1991

That's correct. Cellular devices are manufactured to support the bands used in specific regions of the world. They are not global devices and can't always be repaired/replaced outside of the country of original sale.

In addition, many countries have specific regulations regarding cellular devices that make it difficult or impossible to provide hardware service for devices originating outside of the country where service is requested.

I'm sure the store is doing their best. Unfortunately, international shipping and customs are sometimes unpredictable.

My iPhone repair is taking way too long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.