Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please: How to Erase & Factory Reset a 2022 MacBook Pro M1 / Monterey?

My MacBook Pro 2022 M1 LCD screen is broken, so I need to erase & factory reset it before send into repair.

But unfortunately is "Erase all Content and Settings" NOT shown in my Systems menu. Other users are facing this too. The alternative "Boot into Start Options" does not work as the LCD is broken and nothing is shown on my external Apple monitor.

Can someone PLEASE help? E.g. by how to:

• "Erase all Content and Settings" via Terminal commands
  • repairing "Erase all Content and Settings" from my system menu
  • enable an external monitor in Start Options menu to go from there

THANK YOU very much

Ralf

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 9:41 PM

I don't know if there is a way to access it from Terminal. Likely there isn't such a backend for the function.

I don't think there is any setup required for an external monitor (there isn't for an M1 Mini). Just plug one into your Mac using the appropriate cables and adaptors. It might come up as the secondary monitor, but I think it will be mirrored.

If you have an external keyboard and Mouse, you can start up, close the lid, and it should go into "clamshell" mode and use the external monitor as primary.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2023 9:41 PM in response to Synomic

I don't know if there is a way to access it from Terminal. Likely there isn't such a backend for the function.

I don't think there is any setup required for an external monitor (there isn't for an M1 Mini). Just plug one into your Mac using the appropriate cables and adaptors. It might come up as the secondary monitor, but I think it will be mirrored.

If you have an external keyboard and Mouse, you can start up, close the lid, and it should go into "clamshell" mode and use the external monitor as primary.

Feb 18, 2023 2:24 AM in response to Synomic

I stand to be correctly by more Knowledgable contributors.

The M1 Computer Drive is already encrypted and if FileVault was enabled before the LCD Screen failed.

Not sure it would be necessary to " "Erase all Content and Settings" at all.

Without the 28 character Encryption Key Password available to the Repair Personal, the data would remain safe ?

Feb 18, 2023 4:03 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hello & A BIG THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Your advice worked great :-) After adding USB keyboard + mouse in addition to my external monitor, restart + closing broken LCD (into clamshell mode) the Recovery menu appeared. So I could select erase disk group + APFS. It worked and I saw the initialize Mac screen. So I guess/hope all data is deleted (FileVault was on too).

But now - after several restart attempts - I only see an empty black screen with Apple logo + "Startup Disk" in the top-left-corner, with no mouse pointer. It looks that nothing can be done anymore.

Is it a good idea, to send the MacBook Pro M1 16" 2022 in this unclear stage for LCD repair, or what can/shall I do before?

Thank you very much again & greetings.

Feb 18, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Synomic

(FileVault was on too).

Then I believe P. Phillips' suggestion would have been sufficient, also.

I don't know if it would be the same without FileVault enabled. It is encrypted no matter if it is on or off, but when FileVault is not used, it is automatically decrypted. However, I don't know how it would respond without having the user login credentials. I think it might remain encrypted as P. Phillips noted, but I'm not certain.

Help please: How to Erase & Factory Reset a 2022 MacBook Pro M1 / Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.