Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view files attached to draft e-mail in mac mail

How can a Mac mail user see the name(s) of the file(s) attached to an email that he/she has drafted, before sending the email?

I'm trying to send an email with attachments from my Mail (Mac ventura). Iv'e composed the email, clicked on the paperclip, and selected the files to attach. I now want to double check that I have actually attached the right files. They are password protected PDFs. But nothing appears in the mail. Maybe if I'm lucky I see a vertical line suggesting there is something there, but certainly not the file names!!!

My email is ready to be sent, but I can't see what I'm sending!

How do I force Apple Mail to show the names of the attachemnts in my draft email?

With Outlook, or any other email program or mail on Android phones you can see attachments. Why would Apple not show them by default?

Thanks for your help.

Guern

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 1:27 AM

12 replies

Feb 18, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Guern2020

Guern2020 wrote:

How can a Mac mail user see the name(s) of the file(s) attached to an email that he/she has drafted, before sending the email?
I'm trying to send an email with attachments from my Mail (Mac ventura). Iv'e composed the email, clicked on the paperclip, and selected the files to attach. I now want to double check that I have actually attached the right files. They are password protected PDFs. But nothing appears in the mail. Maybe if I'm lucky I see a vertical line suggesting there is something there, but certainly not the file names!!!
My email is ready to be sent, but I can't see what I'm sending!
How do I force Apple Mail to show the names of the attachemnts in my draft email?
With Outlook, or any other email program or mail on Android phones you can see attachments. Why would Apple not show them by default?
Thanks for your help.
Guern

Send it to your self if in doubt, before you send it to the intended recipient....

Mail>Settings>Help>Attachments see if there is more insight

Add attachments to emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

selecting the attachment an a Quicklook using the spacebar? Maybe this does not work for psswd prorected(?)

inline:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -boolean NO

ref: Here is how to disable inline attachment … - Apple Community

Feb 18, 2023 11:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you, Old Toad

That works, provided one can find the attachment to right click on. It is not obvious because there is just a white [i.e. blank] space where one has to imagine that the attachment is inserted inline in the mail.

It would be so much better/simpler if Apple Mail just showed an icon and the filename, in the same way as it does once one has sent the email.

Guern

Feb 18, 2023 11:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you leroydouglas

One does not have time to send a mail to oneself, just to check that one has the right attachments.

The Apple Mail help does not help, unfortunately. The problem is not being able to add an attachment. It is that one cannot see what file is attached if the attachment is encrypted. (It can be seen if it is not encrypted.)

I see there is a discussion about disabling inline attachments, but those steps are beyond me.

All I really want is to see what is attached in a draft email, just like one can for unencrypted attachments and in every other email program .

Cheers

Guern

How to view files attached to draft e-mail in mac mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.