Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor for Macbook Pro early 2008

Hi, I'm the owner of an old MBP early 2008, 15", MB134*/A or A1226.

The display doesn't work anymore so it's more convenient for me to buy an external monitor.

The MBP has a DVI port (and 2 Firewire ports but I don't know if they are eligible).

I'd like to have some advice about what monitor nowadays should I look for.

Moreover I'd like to know what mandatory technical characteristics should it have to work appropriately with my MBP (i.e.: what max resolution, what refresh hertz rate, if it has to be a 24" max and so on).

Should I look only for monitor with DVI or not?

Also advices for monitor not necessarily new are welcome (obviously monitor which have been put on the market not more than two or three years ago).

Thank you in advance,

Loris.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 6:49 AM

its complicated. The Mac itself supports:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600

Details: Simultaneously supports native resolution on the internal display and

a maximum of 2560x1600 on an external display.

data from Everymac.com

When used with displays WIDER that 1920 wide, 'Dual Link' DVI cables and adapters are required.

If you limit your choices to displays no WIDER than 1920 wide, (such as HD 1920 by 1080) you can convert back and forth between 'Single-Link' DVI and HDMI cheaply and easily with an adapter that is 'all wires'.

The physical size of the screen is not an issue. On a larger sized display, the pixels will just be larger. Imagine putting your Mac's screen onto a 65-in TV set. Resolution is still 1920 by 1080.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 6:49 AM in response to Heropass

its complicated. The Mac itself supports:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600

Details: Simultaneously supports native resolution on the internal display and

a maximum of 2560x1600 on an external display.

data from Everymac.com

When used with displays WIDER that 1920 wide, 'Dual Link' DVI cables and adapters are required.

If you limit your choices to displays no WIDER than 1920 wide, (such as HD 1920 by 1080) you can convert back and forth between 'Single-Link' DVI and HDMI cheaply and easily with an adapter that is 'all wires'.

The physical size of the screen is not an issue. On a larger sized display, the pixels will just be larger. Imagine putting your Mac's screen onto a 65-in TV set. Resolution is still 1920 by 1080.

Apr 2, 2023 10:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I just wanted to add this: I've bought an LG27MP400.

I connected via an adapter DVI/VGA original Apple.

I've found that there is an "inconstant" flickering that disappear when, now and then , you restart the Macbook.

So I've tried a cable DVI/HDMI and the result was good; nevertheless I sent back the monitor because a resolution 1920 x 1080 with a 27" shows that the pixels are simply "too big" and thenresukt is bad for your eyes.

External monitor for Macbook Pro early 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.