Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How secure are iPhone cameras?

Hi all! Just wanted to ask a question. I’m a huge privacy freak and lately I’ve read stores about GCHQs optic nerve program and how the government spied on people through their webcams. This makes me paranoid that what if we are all being spied on by the government or hackers through our iPhone cameras? It just kinda scares me, and sometimes I’m late to update my iOS, which I know makes it more unsafe. Are iPhones secure in this manner?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:49 AM

There is nothing to be nervous about.

You have full control over which apps have access to use your camera. If you are worried about some apps having access to your camera, you can disable access. You can also follow in your Control Center which apps have access to your camera, location and microphone.

You can disable app permissions here:

Settings > Privacy. In the list, you'll see Contacts, Calendar Photos, Camera, Microphone, etc. Tap on each one to see which apps have access, and disable the ones you don't feel comfortable with.

At the same time, keep an eye on the Orange and Green dot at the top of your display.

• Green means that an app has used your camera (See which one in the Control Center)
  • Orange means an app is using your microphone (See which one in the Control Center)

Read more here:

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 11:49 AM in response to Community User

There is nothing to be nervous about.

You have full control over which apps have access to use your camera. If you are worried about some apps having access to your camera, you can disable access. You can also follow in your Control Center which apps have access to your camera, location and microphone.

You can disable app permissions here:

Settings > Privacy. In the list, you'll see Contacts, Calendar Photos, Camera, Microphone, etc. Tap on each one to see which apps have access, and disable the ones you don't feel comfortable with.

At the same time, keep an eye on the Orange and Green dot at the top of your display.

• Green means that an app has used your camera (See which one in the Control Center)
  • Orange means an app is using your microphone (See which one in the Control Center)

Read more here:

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

How secure are iPhone cameras?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.