Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 14 Pro MAX IOS 16.3.1 and I can't Turn my Dictation Off.

I have turned it off in the settings but it still is picking up sound and typing dictation in my text message. This is a royal pain in the ***. Is there a fix coming for this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 9:31 AM

Hey ImTheDamo,

That's good to know. In your troubleshooting, did you check to see if Voice Control is turned on? Voice Control allows you to interact with your iPhone using your voice. Here's how to check: Use Voice Control on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"How to turn on Voice Control

1. Go to Settings and select Accessibility.
  2. Select Voice Control, then select Set up Voice Control. A download will begin in the background. 

When the download is complete, a microphone  will appear in the status bar of your device that indicates that Voice Control is listening or not listening."

Let us know what you find.

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 9:31 AM in response to ImTheDamo

Hey ImTheDamo,

That's good to know. In your troubleshooting, did you check to see if Voice Control is turned on? Voice Control allows you to interact with your iPhone using your voice. Here's how to check: Use Voice Control on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"How to turn on Voice Control

1. Go to Settings and select Accessibility.
  2. Select Voice Control, then select Set up Voice Control. A download will begin in the background. 

When the download is complete, a microphone  will appear in the status bar of your device that indicates that Voice Control is listening or not listening."

Let us know what you find.

Take care!

Feb 20, 2023 12:10 PM in response to ImTheDamo

Hey ImTheDamo,

First we'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides more information on using dictation on iPhone: Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support

Since the issue began, have you been able to restart your iPhone to see if that helps? If not we'd recommend trying that as a restart may resolve the issue. This article explains how: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you may want to provide some additional information about the issue.

Is this only occurring with the Messages app, or are you having similar issues in other apps on your iPhone?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2023 9:18 AM in response to WinsC1

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes, I have done several restarts, and nothing has changed. Dictation is enabled in messaging and search, so far as I can see, but it doesn't seem to matter. If I can type it, dictation takes over. I have disabled dictation in the general settings, and it still is dictating mine or any overriding text sounds in the background (i.e., Youtube, Zoom, TV, etc.).

I have even tried enabling dictation in the general settings but turning it off when I message, and even that doesn't work. It is like the omnipresent source for anything written or searched. It is annoying. I am surprised this is not a major bug across the iPhone universe.

As stated at the onset of this thread, I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and I updated my IOS to 16.3.1

Thanks,

Damian

I have 14 Pro MAX IOS 16.3.1 and I can't Turn my Dictation Off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.