Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV connectivity

I'm trying to use my older apple tv on my samsung TV and it says it can't connect to the network because I don't have a certain "profile" installed. What, where and how can I do that?

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 9:06 AM

Apart from the above, here are some other troubleshooting steps for getting a Wi-Fi internet net connection working:

1. If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later may support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’ on the router.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 9:06 AM in response to weezster

Apart from the above, here are some other troubleshooting steps for getting a Wi-Fi internet net connection working:

1. If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later may support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’ on the router.

Feb 19, 2023 5:03 PM in response to weezster

Could it be that this network has captive portal network access, which requires both a username and a password, instead of only a password? Not many home networks have that, but it is more common on semi-public networks, enterprise and educational institutions, stores, communities, some apartment buildings, rentals, hotels, motels.

A device profile could be configured with those needed access details included, as it is not accessible through the regular interface. It can be a solution for semi-permanent setups. For frequent changing settings or networks, it would be better to use a ‘travel router’ in between the present network and your devices, so that Apple TV doesn’t have to deal with the captive part.

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Current models Apple TV with system software version tvOS 15.4 or later can use an iPhone or iPad to help bring network access to Apple TV, when facing captive portals.

Apple TV connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.