Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set up a Genius Bar appointment?

how can I set up a genius bar appt?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 10:59 AM

Rich SO wrote:

how can I set up a genius bar appt?

Start here: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

8 replies

Feb 19, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Rich SO

Do you happen to have a pot on whether KeyChain is secure enough to use over a password manager like 1Password. 1Password seems to be struggling to keep up with all of the continuing changes on website and app signing. More and more it will not pre-populate there sign credentials... I'm considering moving to KeyChain but I don't want to take any additional risk with my password info. As you know a few years back hackers stolen personal photos of dozens of celeb women by accessing the iCloud servers. I have read that Apple still does not take this particular issue as seriously as they could and that a password manager is critical to keep one secure. Any thoughts?

Feb 19, 2023 1:01 PM in response to Rich SO

Rich SO wrote:

Do you happen to have a pot on whether KeyChain is secure enough to use over a password manager like 1Password. 1Password seems to be struggling to keep up with all of the continuing changes on website and app signing. More and more it will not pre-populate there sign credentials... I'm considering moving to KeyChain but I don't want to take any additional risk with my password info. As you know a few years back hackers stolen personal photos of dozens of celeb women by accessing the iCloud servers. I have read that Apple still does not take this particular issue as seriously as they could and that a password manager is critical to keep one secure. Any thoughts?

There is no absolute security.

The recommendations here—I hesitate to use the word “answer” in this context—depends on how valuable you are to your adversaries, and how much money and effort an adversary is willing to spend against you.

For most of us… iCloud Keychain is secure. I have no issues or concerns with iCloud Keychain, given my risks.

iCloud Keychain is dependent on maintaining your Apple ID password as a secret, on using a long and preferably robust passcode, on using the recommended two-factor authentication on your Apple ID and other important accounts (either the Apple ID scheme, or the built-in authentication app), and quite possibly on using lockdown mode and a recovery key if you’re a higher-profile target, or yet higher-grade security as applicable.

Basically, iCloud Keychain is dependent on you maintaining control of your Apple ID.

Getting phished is bad, reusing passwords is bad, becoming interesting to an organization with ubiquitous and pervasive network access is bad, etc.

If you are a particular annoyance to or are particularly interesting to a well-funded adversary, then the security recommendations here will shift. Substantially.

For most of us, again, iCloud Keychain is just fine.

Feb 19, 2023 1:11 PM in response to Rich SO

Rich SO wrote:
As you know a few years back hackers stolen personal photos of dozens of celeb women by accessing the iCloud servers. I have read that Apple still does not take this particular issue as seriously as they could and that a password manager is critical to keep one secure. Any thoughts?

I read about those events. That happened because those celebrities did not have secure passwords for their iCloud accounts so they were easily accessed; in some cases, they did not keep their devices (computers, phones, etc.) physically secure, and third parties (e.g. "friends" or household help physically on the premises) were able to access and download info simply by physically accessing their computers and phones, which in some cases had no password protection so physical access provided iCloud access. In some cases, these celebrities also provided their Apple ID passwords to people they thought they could trust. If you are using Apple ID with 2-factor security, that is very secure. Some of those "hacked" celebrities made it easy for their info to be accessed because they had little or no security. 1Password is a good product so an individual does not have to remember or write down scores of passwords, but probably not going to protect against using an insecure Apple ID password or being careless about making it easy for others to get the Apple ID password.

How can I set up a Genius Bar appointment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.