Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Endless loop when trying to download latest YouTube app

I just updated an iPad Air from iOS 10.1 to iOS 12.5.7.

Now, I want to update the YouTube app. The newest version (18.06) of the app requires iOS 14. The iPad currently has version 14.0 of the YouTube app. When I select the "download latest compatible version" option, it just replies with the same "The current version requires iOS 14.0" message.

Is there really no version of the YouTube app between 14.0 and 18.06 that will run on iOS 12? I find that odd, since the current version was used on iOS 10.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 2:15 PM

ghr165 wrote:

Try deleting the app first. You will lose any settings for the app.

I have fired up an iPhone 6 (iOS 12.5.5) which I had not touched in 7 months. Confirmed the reported issue. Deleted YouTube and installed YouTube. It is version 17.39.4 (which is _only_ 4 months old!).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 2:15 PM in response to ghr165

ghr165 wrote:

Try deleting the app first. You will lose any settings for the app.

I have fired up an iPhone 6 (iOS 12.5.5) which I had not touched in 7 months. Confirmed the reported issue. Deleted YouTube and installed YouTube. It is version 17.39.4 (which is _only_ 4 months old!).

Feb 21, 2023 8:25 AM in response to kurmasz

Hello kurmasz,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We recommend that you review compatibility requirements for the YouTube app here: App Store Preview - YouTube

It states the following:

Compatibility
iPhone
Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
iPad
Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
iPod touch
Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
Apple TV
Requires tvOS 13.0 or later.

As you can see, the only version available in the App Store is for devices that are using a iOS/iPadOS 14 or later or tvOS 13 or later. There isn't an older version of the app in the App Store.

We hope this information is useful. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

Feb 21, 2023 2:13 PM in response to Vilas_S

Vilas_S wrote:

the only version available in the App Store is for devices that are using a iOS/iPadOS 14 or later or tvOS 13 or later. There isn't an older version of the app in the App Store.

We hope this information is useful. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

You misunderstand how the App Store works.

Feb 21, 2023 4:06 PM in response to kurmasz

kurmasz wrote:

(I was nervous because another source had warned me that if I deleted the app, I wouldn't be able to re-install it all.)

That can happen if the developer chooses not to make older versions available. For example, YouTube is not available for iOS 9.5.3 even though the first version was released about the time of iOS 5 & 6.

Endless loop when trying to download latest YouTube app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.