How to fix iPhone SE not recognized as Webcam on Mac mini M2

Mac mini M2

macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

iPhone SE 2nd Gen

iOS 16.3.1 (20D67)

I put my iPhone SE into a holder in landscape mode next to a new Mac mini and got a notification it could be used as a webcam.

I opened Photo Booth and took a photo.

When I repositioned the iPhone the camera was removed from the camera list.

I turned off Continuity Camera from Settings > General > AirPlay and Handoff and then restarted iPhone and Mac.

I turned Continuity Camera back on and opened FaceTime.

No camera seen by FaceTime. I opened Photo Booth and no camera seen there either.

I then connected the iPhone to the Mac with the cable and tapped “Trust this Computer” and entered the iPhone passcode.

I could now see the iPhone camera in both FaceTime and Photo Booth.

When I disconnected the cable from the iPhone I got a notice this would remove it from the camera list and the video from the camera stopped.

I again toggled Continuity Camera off/on - the issue persists.

Checked on Mac - System Settings > Privacy & Security > Camera - no apps listed.

In Photo Booth Camera menu, it displays “No Camera Available”.

In FaceTime Video menu, the only option is to Automatic Camera Selection and there is no camera listed.

Handoff is working just fine, but not Continuity Camera over Wi-Fi. The Mac and iPhone are on the same home network and Bluetooth is enabled on both devices.

What can I do to get my iPhone recognized to be used as a wireless webcam?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:39 AM

I have been suffering with this issue for weeks and gave up until I found the most ridiculous solution. I know what it sounds like but give it a try..

Just wanted to share this since i saw another post where no one found a solution. I’ve got this to work on my mac mini wirelessly. For some reason, it will only work when your iphone is nearby your mac mini, locked, in landscape mode and not moving. The moment it connects as a camera, you can set it any place and angle you want. But initially it has to be close to the mac, locked, straight, landscape and still. Id suggest keep it on tripod is better. Additionally, if you just finished using it and then want to use it again in a different session, you have to unlock the phone and then lock it again and then repeat the steps above.

It literally worked for me

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 8:39 AM in response to ml5661

I have been suffering with this issue for weeks and gave up until I found the most ridiculous solution. I know what it sounds like but give it a try..

Just wanted to share this since i saw another post where no one found a solution. I’ve got this to work on my mac mini wirelessly. For some reason, it will only work when your iphone is nearby your mac mini, locked, in landscape mode and not moving. The moment it connects as a camera, you can set it any place and angle you want. But initially it has to be close to the mac, locked, straight, landscape and still. Id suggest keep it on tripod is better. Additionally, if you just finished using it and then want to use it again in a different session, you have to unlock the phone and then lock it again and then repeat the steps above.

It literally worked for me

May 24, 2023 4:15 PM in response to ml5661

Continuity camera is such a huge disappointment. It will work once, then the next ten times you try to use it, it will fail. Troubleshooting steps are inconsistent, other than the fact that you have to do them repeatedly to get the Mac to see the camera again.

Hopefully Apple will figure it out with macOS 14 or iOS 17, whichever is the problem. Right now, it's not worth the hassle.

Dec 13, 2023 9:54 AM in response to ml5661

I've been plagued by this issue and finally figured the source of my experience with this problem

Use Case:

• If it's connected via usb, it always works. But its such a hassle to setup the camera cable where I want
  • If it's wireless, it sometimes works. It could see my phone, but video would be black (useless)

Cause of flakey behavior:

Continuity camera does not work if my laptop is connected to VPN. If I disable VPN, connect camera then re-connect to VPN it remains working.

I sporadically connect to VPN so didn't think to consider it as a potential issue until I started realizing when this issue occurs throughout the day.

Oct 30, 2023 8:46 AM in response to ml5661

I was sooo frustrated not getting this to work even seeing post like this. What I finally tried was lock and in landscape mode like apples continuity page shows, camera on the right, and it instantly showed up 😑😑😑

I don't know who did this but this is stupid. I should be able to connect in any orientation. After you connect you can even move it around! This needs to change and as evedent by so many others this is currently not a good solution. I should be able to see my phone or ipad and just connect. Especially with a Mac mini or Studio that has no built in camera.

Feb 21, 2023 10:49 AM in response to ml5661

Hi ml5661,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your Mac doesn't see your iPhone is connected to use Continuity Camera from your iPhone SE.

If you haven't done so already, we'd suggest that you restart both your Mac and iPhone and set up Continuity Camera again. If you need help to restart your devices, you can follow the steps in the articles below:

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

If you're still not able to see that your iPhone is connected, check out the additional troubleshooting steps outlined here: Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

"If you need help

If Continuity Camera isn't working as expected or your iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi to optimize Continuity Camera, try these solutions.

If Continuity Camera isn't working as expected

• Make sure that your iPhone and Mac meet the system requirements.
  • Make sure that your iPhone is properly mounted.
  • Install the latest macOS updatesiOS updates, and updates for your video app.
  • If you haven't unlocked your iPhone since it last restarted, unlock it, then lock it again.
  • Plug your iPhone into your Mac.
  • Restart your iPhone or Mac.

If you get a notification that iPhone Wi-Fi disconnected

While using Continuity Camera wirelessly, you might be notified that your iPhone has disconnected from Wi-Fi to optimize Continuity Camera. Your iPhone then uses its cellular data connection for background networking tasks like email and messages. To stop or prevent this rare occurrence while using Continuity Camera, plug your iPhone into your Mac or turn off cellular data on your iPhone.

System requirements

This Continuity Camera feature works with the following devices and operating systems, using one iPhone and one Mac at a time. The Continuity Camera feature for scanning documents or taking a picture has different requirements.

iOS 16 or later

• iPhone XR or later
  • (All iPhone models introduced in 2018 or later)
  • iPhone 11 or later for Center Stage
  • iPhone 11 or later (excluding iPhone SE) for Desk View
  • iPhone 12 or later for Studio Light
  •   

macOS Ventura or later

Additional requirements

We hope this helps.

Take care!

Feb 23, 2023 4:42 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Thanks. I've followed all of the above. I've also changed the name of my iPhone, and reset network settings. On my Mac Mac I removed all login items and turned off all background apps in the login items area. I then restarted both the phone and the Mac, but the issue persists.

Next, I created a new user account and tested the issue with that. The issue persists and the iPhone is not seen wirelessly.

Unless there are any other suggestions, I thinks it's time for Apple Support to have a look.

May 2, 2023 8:26 AM in response to garvin209

I tried standing my iPhone 12 on its side in front of my Mac mini then opening FaceTime and continuity camera worked fine. Seems iPhone must be stationary on it's side (landscape) and near the Mac in order for continuity camera to work.

Note: Prior to trying this the only way I could get the iPhone camera to show up in continuity mode was to connect via USB.

Mar 31, 2023 1:40 AM in response to MakBarbieri

Toxic persons who address themselves as "we" should be banned IMHO.

It was not an intermittent thing in my case, it was a solution that worked for me 3 times already. Without restart, without toggling wifi and whatnot. Toggling Bluetooth.

If it doesn't work for you - maybe you have a different issue. Let's see if it helps others.

Feb 23, 2023 4:54 PM in response to ml5661

ml5661,

Thanks for providing those additional details, and great job on the troubleshooting you're done to isolate the issue.

Based on the information you've provided, and the steps you've gone through, reaching out to Apple Support directly would likely be the next best option.

You can reach out them directly using this link here: Contact - Official Apple Support

Best regards.

Jan 25, 2024 7:52 AM in response to ml5661

I had a Wi-Fi problem before, which I solved by disabling AWDL (I used the script from "Meter" for the daemon).

Immediately after that, "Continuity Camera" stopped working over Wi-Fi (my iPhone would connect, but there was no video, and the iPhone would soon disconnect). I tried to get it back by using another script from "Meter" to disable the daemon and enabling AWDL. But that script doesn't work! You need to disable this daemon in macos Settings>General>Logins Items (look screenshot. Sorry for the Russian interface, but I think you can find it).

How to fix iPhone SE not recognized as Webcam on Mac mini M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.