Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery, charge limit

Hello, how can I limit the charging of my macbook to 80% and keep the charge at this value even when the power is connected?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 7:43 AM

You cannot directly. You can go into System Settings ➜ Battery, and click on the ( i ) icon next to Battery Health, and then turn on Optimize Battery charging. It will detect and learn your usage and eventually stop charging at 80% while connected to power while it knows you don't normally need to use it, and will charge up to 100% before you need to take it off of power so its ready when you need to leave.

Outside of that, it cannot be forced, and you should not worry about it. The Mac can manage its own charging, it cannot be overcharged and no damage will come to the battery.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 7:43 AM in response to Rodorg

You cannot directly. You can go into System Settings ➜ Battery, and click on the ( i ) icon next to Battery Health, and then turn on Optimize Battery charging. It will detect and learn your usage and eventually stop charging at 80% while connected to power while it knows you don't normally need to use it, and will charge up to 100% before you need to take it off of power so its ready when you need to leave.

Outside of that, it cannot be forced, and you should not worry about it. The Mac can manage its own charging, it cannot be overcharged and no damage will come to the battery.

Feb 20, 2023 7:59 AM in response to Phil0124

I'm just currently only using my macbook at home at the moment and it's more convenient to have it connected to the charger all the time, but from what I've heard, keeping the battery at 100% for a long time is harmful

On the Internet, I saw there are programs that keep the MacBook charged by 80%, but they only fit intel processors, not m1

Feb 20, 2023 8:32 AM in response to Rodorg

Rodorg wrote:

I'm just currently only using my macbook at home at the moment and it's more convenient to have it connected to the charger all the time, but from what I've heard, keeping the battery at 100% for a long time is harmful

It is not harmful.

On the Internet, I saw there are programs that keep the MacBook charged by 80%, but they only fit intel processors, not m1

It is not necessary on M1 Macs.

Battery, charge limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.