Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Action Touch Bar Greyed Out

On my older intel MacBook I was able to create the same wifiToggle and assign a keyboard shortcut to it to easily toggle my wifi on and off.

I'm trying to set this up on my new 13" M2 with macOS Ventura. I could find no easy solutions for assigning a keyboard shortcut to this quick action, so I tried adding it to the touch bar.

It shows up on the touch bar, but remains greyed out. 🤔🤕. It targets my Wifi, so there is no app to have open when it is needed. It works fine from the Automator, but having to always open the Automator to run the quick action makes it anything but quick🤕.

BTW the same code shown in the image works in a shell script and is convenient if I happen to be in the terminal. But it would be nice to either setup a working keyboard shortcut or a working task bar option for this for times with I'm not in the terminal.

Yeah, I know, I can just click my wifi symbol on my menu bar, and if my cursor is in close proximity to it, I usually do. But I prefer either a keyboard shortcut or a task bar item that works than to have to drag my cursor all the way across the screen to get there.

Any thoughts, solutions, help? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 12:08 AM

The green vs blue is just a matter of choosing a different highlight color in System Settings->Appearance. I don’t expect that to make a difference regarding the shortcuts.

Regarding there being a section called “General” or not: I don’t know for sure, maybe it has to do with the existing Services. I am not at my mac to check, but I guess those are the services where “no input” is selected. Maybe you don’t have one like that, so “General” does not appear. A service like the one you showed above, receiving text, is probably in the “Text” category, and so on. Again, just guessing, not at my mac to check. Perhaps you would just have to look for your service in a different group. I often have trouble finding them because I have so many…

Anyway, glad that you got it working!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 12:08 AM in response to CyberScout6

The green vs blue is just a matter of choosing a different highlight color in System Settings->Appearance. I don’t expect that to make a difference regarding the shortcuts.

Regarding there being a section called “General” or not: I don’t know for sure, maybe it has to do with the existing Services. I am not at my mac to check, but I guess those are the services where “no input” is selected. Maybe you don’t have one like that, so “General” does not appear. A service like the one you showed above, receiving text, is probably in the “Text” category, and so on. Again, just guessing, not at my mac to check. Perhaps you would just have to look for your service in a different group. I often have trouble finding them because I have so many…

Anyway, glad that you got it working!

Feb 22, 2023 9:41 PM in response to CyberScout6

I didn't get the Touch Bar to work, but I did finally figure out how to get a keyboard shortcut to work:

MacOS Ventura

The Automator Quick Action has to be created first, then:

1). Open the Shortcuts.App and import your QuickAction

2). DoubleClick your named Quick Action. Mine is wifiToggle

3). Run to test. You will be prompted to allow it to run on your computer. This is necessary for the shortcut to persist.

4). Then click the small circle i to get the dialog to open that has the field for entering the keyboard shortcut.

5). Now, set your keyboard shortcut. Try to pick something that doesn't conflict with anything else.

6). Click anywhere else to get out of the shortcut field, and try it out.

Feb 22, 2023 11:58 PM in response to CyberScout6

You can use the Shortcuts application as you describe, but I am puzzled as to why you could not do the same as before.

Why not add the keyboard shortcut in exactly the same way to your Quick Action as you did before?

System Settings->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts

Then click Services.

The organization of System Pref... er Settings has changed somewhat, but it all works pretty much as it did previously. I have many Automator Quick Actions to which I have assigned keyboard shortcuts; some came from previous versions, some added in Ventura.

Feb 26, 2023 3:18 AM in response to CyberScout6

CyberScout6 wrote:

I might be missing something, but when I went to services to attempt to setup the shortcut, I found no way to add it. Now that it is created, it does show up under "Services" -> "Shortcuts". But if there is a way to create a brand-new one there without using the Shortcuts app, I've not seen it.

Sure there is. When you create a Service (aka "Quick Action") in Automator, you can then add the keyboard shortcut for it as I showed before. Of course, you need to create the actual shortcut before it appears in System Settings.

here is a silly "Hello, World" example, just to show that it works:

1) Automator, New, choose Quick Action

2) Create your Quick Action - in this case, have your mac say "Hello, Word" - and save it (I used the name "Hello, World!", of course you can name it in any way that makes sense):

3) In System Settings->Keyboard, click Keyboard Shortcuts, and you can find the new Service

Now, just double-click on "none" and type the desired shortcut. For example:

Feb 26, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My computer doesn't show the "General" option. After I import the quick action into Shortcuts.app I can click "none" and setup the keyboard shortcut there.

I noticed your computer has green coloring while mine has blue. I'm using a 13" M2 2022 running macOS Ventura. Curious what OS and year computer you're running to know if that's where the difference may lie.

Except for having to export my Quick Action out of Automator and then importing it into the Shortcuts.app, it's not too bad a process now that I know what is necessary. Though it was easier with the "General" option that I assume was removed for some reason on this particular Mac. I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2023 12:40 PM in response to leroydouglas

"Yeah, I know, I can just click my wifi symbol on my menu bar, and if my cursor is in close proximity to it, I usually do." But, that requires dragging the cursor to not location. Unless my cursor is already right there, it is not as fast as a keyboard shortcut or a Touch Bar button.

You are right thought, the menu bar does wifi does toggle the wifi, just not as fast as a keyboard shortcut or Touch Bar button.

Quick Action Touch Bar Greyed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.