You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Apple Watch Series 3 that I just bought Dec 2023 keeps pausing during workouts

I don’t do a lot of big workouts … mostly just outdoor walking. My watch constantly pauses after a few minutes into my hike. Yesterday I walked 40 mins and my watch only picked up 15 mins of it. It seems this has been an issue since 2018. Does anyone have a fix ?

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 6:18 PM

I just did a search of the forum here and I've came up with two things.

First, try tightening your watch band one more hole. Get it snug before you begin your workout, loosen it up when you are done.

Second, if first one doesn't help, there is an "Auto Pause" option. You might need to shut it off. It's used for of you're walking and run into a neighbor and you both chat for a while. If you shut this off, you'll have to remember to pause it yourself. So... That's why I am suggesting that you try the band first.

To shut off auto pause, using your iPhone, open the Watch app and then scroll down and click on Workout. Look for and click on "Auto-Pause". Turn that toggle off.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Morgabit

I just did a search of the forum here and I've came up with two things.

First, try tightening your watch band one more hole. Get it snug before you begin your workout, loosen it up when you are done.

Second, if first one doesn't help, there is an "Auto Pause" option. You might need to shut it off. It's used for of you're walking and run into a neighbor and you both chat for a while. If you shut this off, you'll have to remember to pause it yourself. So... That's why I am suggesting that you try the band first.

To shut off auto pause, using your iPhone, open the Watch app and then scroll down and click on Workout. Look for and click on "Auto-Pause". Turn that toggle off.

Feb 21, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Pilerman

Lol… same here ! I really just use it to monitor my walks/hikes and my heart rate. I had a Fitbit for years. It was good at counting my steps and activities but really bad at notifications like messages, phone calls etc. That’s why I decided to get an Apple Watch. And now my issues are reversed lol

Thank you for your suggestion. I’m hoping someone has the same issue and knows a fix.

Feb 21, 2023 6:33 PM in response to Pilerman

When I went for my 5km walk tonight my watch didn’t pause. Because it’s winter here and I have extra clothing on I’m guessing that my long sleeve tshirt is pressing against the Digital Crown so I made sure it was over my watch. I checked my settings and I don’t have auto-pause activated. I do like the idea of tightening my strap … good suggestion. I am walking a dog while I’m out so it could be her leash hitting the Digital Crown too. Thank you so much for you help !!!

my Apple Watch Series 3 that I just bought Dec 2023 keeps pausing during workouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.