Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should music ripped from CDs appear on all my devices in the Music app?

I'm busy copying my CD collection into the Music app on my MacBook. But when I open the Music app on my iPhone the albums from my CDs are not listed. Should they be? I assumed music on one device would automatically get synched via iCloud to all devices.

If I wanted to synch these albums across all my devices, how would I do this?

And then where would the music files live: on my MacBook hard-drive AND on my iCloud storage, or just on my iCloud storage?

I'm unsure, but I think I would rather the files take up space on my iCloud, than on my MacBook hard-drive - is there a way to get the files to only live on iCloud?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 12:04 PM

Just to echo the comments above, the Music app on iOS device cannot access files stored in iCloud Drive. If you want to use the cloud to sync changes between your computer and devices then it is either iTunes Match or Apple Music. You don't need both services, Apple Music is a superset of the features of iTunes Match. If you don't want to pay for either service then see Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support and update your devices over USB.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 12:04 PM in response to Sparky Marky

Just to echo the comments above, the Music app on iOS device cannot access files stored in iCloud Drive. If you want to use the cloud to sync changes between your computer and devices then it is either iTunes Match or Apple Music. You don't need both services, Apple Music is a superset of the features of iTunes Match. If you don't want to pay for either service then see Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support and update your devices over USB.

tt2

Feb 21, 2023 11:32 AM in response to SixFour391

So I'd have to pay for my subscription to iCloud (to store my music on) PLUS $24.99 per year for iTunes Match?

Or

I'd have to pay for an Apple Music subscription (Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices – Apple Support (UK))?

Just to listen to music I've already bought, on CD, on my Mac and iPhone?

That seems like I'm paying twice. One, buying the music, two, to listen to it on my phone.

Surely there has to be better, free, way to do this?

Feb 21, 2023 12:21 PM in response to Sparky Marky

No worries! You are asking good and legitimate questions!

From what I can gather, no. You don't need Apple Music to get iTunes Match.

You need to go to the iTunes Store, scroll all the way to the bottom and select iTunes Match.

Heres a link to guide that process.

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

And yes, after subscribing to iTunes Match, that music will, wirelessly, sync with your Apple devices, using the same AppleID.

Feb 21, 2023 11:40 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Your second description is a little more correct.

First you pay for access to ALL of Apple Music's Library...Basically free ($9.99/month) access to millions of songs on the market and shared across all your devices, signed in under the same AppleID.

Then $24.99/year to listen to songs, across all your devices that you purchased, not using iTunes or Apple Music. It's similar to the "Vail of Ignorance"; they don't know how many songs or which songs you're going to want in your library, so they charge $9.99 a month to listen to EVERYTHING.

It's Apple's way of seamlessly mixing multiple generations of the music industry into one. Yeah, that's gonna cost some money; For the server use and for storing songs on its servers that it doesn't, or didn't, already supply.

Feb 21, 2023 11:47 AM in response to SixFour391

Sorry, I'm not getting this.

I don't want to subscribe to Apple Music.

All I want is to be able to listen to songs, across all my devices, that I've purchased not using iTunes or Apple Music (in this case on CD).

I figured I'd upload my music library (which I've paid for) to my iCloud storage (which I'm paying for) and then synch my music library on my devices - is this not possible?

Feb 21, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Sorry this can be confusing and hard to explain/comprehend.

iCloud really has nothing to do with your Music. (Oversimplified)

The only way to have your CD music synced with all your devices, is to purchase iTunes Match.

The reason you have to pay for this action, is because you're using Apple software and Apple servers to sync music that was not purchased through them.

Feb 21, 2023 12:08 PM in response to SixFour391

Okay... thanks for bearing with me, a few more questions (sorry):

If I subscribe to iTunes Match, do I also need to subscribe to Apple Music? Or can I simply have iTunes Match without Apple Music?

Will my music from the CDs be stored on my iCloud account?

The reason you have to pay for this action, is because you're using Apple software and Apple servers to sync music that was not purchased through them.

Not sure I agree with Apple on this. I'd assumed my music would live on my paid for iCloud subscription - which already syncs between my devices and so it's not costing Apple anything.

Should music ripped from CDs appear on all my devices in the Music app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.