Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2023 DFU mode not possible?

Hi,

I have 2 new 2023 MacBook Pros, a 14 and 16 inch which don't seem to want to do into DFU mode. I work in IT and have put plenty of M1 MacBooks into DFU mode in the past but this is the first time I've tried the new 2023 models. I've followed the Apple recommended way and tried the MrMacintosh way using the macvdmtool but nothing works. Every time I press ANY key combination the device just starts to boot with the chime followed by the Apple logo.

Apple states to first press and release the power button then press and hold all 4 keys but as soon as I press and release the power button it starts to boot???

Have Apple now changed the way this is done or ditched it altogether?

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 9:00 PM

I have performed the procedure on an M1 laptop, but I haven't done so on a 2023 model yet. I do know that it can be tricky to put any 2018+ Mac into DFU Mode and timing is everything.

Make sure you are using a USB-C charging cable to connect the two Macs (or a USB-C to USB-A cable if connecting to an older Mac without USB-C ports). Also make sure you are connecting the USB-C cable to the back left port on the laptop which you are attempting to put into DFU Mode.

You are holding the correct keys? Some are on the left side and some are on the right side.

Make sure Apple Configurator is completely up to date. It is possible that maybe Apple needs to update Apple Configurator in order to work with a 2023 Mac. Also make sure macOS on the host Mac is completely up to date.

I do have access to a new M2 laptop. I'll see if I can remember & find time to test it out. I have had issues putting even Intel Macs into DFU Mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 9:00 PM in response to lakjlakdjs

I have performed the procedure on an M1 laptop, but I haven't done so on a 2023 model yet. I do know that it can be tricky to put any 2018+ Mac into DFU Mode and timing is everything.

Make sure you are using a USB-C charging cable to connect the two Macs (or a USB-C to USB-A cable if connecting to an older Mac without USB-C ports). Also make sure you are connecting the USB-C cable to the back left port on the laptop which you are attempting to put into DFU Mode.

You are holding the correct keys? Some are on the left side and some are on the right side.

Make sure Apple Configurator is completely up to date. It is possible that maybe Apple needs to update Apple Configurator in order to work with a 2023 Mac. Also make sure macOS on the host Mac is completely up to date.

I do have access to a new M2 laptop. I'll see if I can remember & find time to test it out. I have had issues putting even Intel Macs into DFU Mode.

Mar 2, 2023 3:19 AM in response to HWTech

I was at this for the best part of a day, tried everything suggested on every website I could find but still does not go into DFU. I've given up now and I can only assume Apple have ditched this functionality which is a real pain as I previously used it all the time. Typical Apple, giveth something useful then taketh away.

MacBook Pro 2023 DFU mode not possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.