Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t pair Apple Watch because update is needed

I’m trying to set my moms watch to her new iPhone, she didn’t use her watch very often and didn’t realize it wasn’t updated and now I can’t pair it to her new iPhone because it says it needs the update and when I try to update it it just stops

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 11:08 AM

Put your watch on its charger and keep it there until you complete these steps. (select the watch OS version) 

Erase Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

Erasing all content and settings this way erases all media, data, and settings from your Apple Watch, but it does not remove Activation Lock if it has one. (no problem as she will use the same Apple ID)

Or you can erase  and remove it from her account in Find My or https://icloud.com/find .

Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

When asked, decide to set up as NEW.. 

Then process the update

Remember the Watch must again be on its charger with the phone next to it

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 11:08 AM in response to addy2422

Put your watch on its charger and keep it there until you complete these steps. (select the watch OS version) 

Erase Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

Erasing all content and settings this way erases all media, data, and settings from your Apple Watch, but it does not remove Activation Lock if it has one. (no problem as she will use the same Apple ID)

Or you can erase  and remove it from her account in Find My or https://icloud.com/find .

Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

When asked, decide to set up as NEW.. 

Then process the update

Remember the Watch must again be on its charger with the phone next to it

Can’t pair Apple Watch because update is needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.