Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers reformats text in pop up menu to time

Occasionally when I'm entering values into a Numbers pop up menu, Numbers decides to reformat my text. In this particular case, it is reformatting ratios (6:6) to time (6:06). If I put spaces between the characters (6 : 6), it reformats it to (6m 6s). Numbers has done the same thing in other instances as well. Is there a way to force Numbers to treat all entries in a pop up menu as text and leave them alone?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 4:25 PM

Numbers will attempt to format entries the same as it does when entering data into a cell. In a cell, though, you can pre-format the cell as text or precede your entry with an apostrophe to force it to be text. You can't do that when creating/editing a popup menu in the format sidebar. Regardless, I find it easiest to create pop up menus in a table versus editing/adding the items in the sidebar.

In a column of a table, list the items you want in the pop up menu then format those cells to be a pop up menu.

1. Format the cells as text (for those items that would get mis-formatted or you want to ensure will be text)
  2. Enter each item into a cell in the column.
  3. Sort them into the desired order if they are not in order already.
  4. Select all of those cells
  5. Format as pop up menu. Every cell will be a pop up menu with all the items in it and in the order listed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 4:25 PM in response to t.linn

Numbers will attempt to format entries the same as it does when entering data into a cell. In a cell, though, you can pre-format the cell as text or precede your entry with an apostrophe to force it to be text. You can't do that when creating/editing a popup menu in the format sidebar. Regardless, I find it easiest to create pop up menus in a table versus editing/adding the items in the sidebar.

In a column of a table, list the items you want in the pop up menu then format those cells to be a pop up menu.

1. Format the cells as text (for those items that would get mis-formatted or you want to ensure will be text)
  2. Enter each item into a cell in the column.
  3. Sort them into the desired order if they are not in order already.
  4. Select all of those cells
  5. Format as pop up menu. Every cell will be a pop up menu with all the items in it and in the order listed.

Numbers reformats text in pop up menu to time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.