Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Ports in new MacBook Air?

I have an 9 year old MacBook Air, and am contemplating upgrade. (Currently, the computer shuts down if not connected to power when the battery gets down to 96%) When I look at the new Air, I see only 2 thunderbolt ports and a headphone jack. Currently, I am using one USB port to connect to my Internet using an adapter, and one USB port to connect my mouse. I also have an external monitor plugged in to the computer. Also, I frequently load an SD card to download my photos, and it appears there is no SD card slot.

How would I connect all these devices to the new "improved" computer without all the USB ports & the SD card slot?

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 2:51 PM

The new MacBook Air comes with two USB-C ports. If you need to connect older USB cables, you'll need to buy adapters. Apple sells them. If you need more than two ports, you'll probably need to investigate USB hubs. You may also want to consider the MBP instead. It has three ports, plus an HDMI port and an SD card slot.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Belkin USB 3.0 4-Port Hub + USB-C Cable - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 2:51 PM in response to gwesq

The new MacBook Air comes with two USB-C ports. If you need to connect older USB cables, you'll need to buy adapters. Apple sells them. If you need more than two ports, you'll probably need to investigate USB hubs. You may also want to consider the MBP instead. It has three ports, plus an HDMI port and an SD card slot.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Belkin USB 3.0 4-Port Hub + USB-C Cable - Apple

Feb 23, 2023 6:45 AM in response to gwesq

gwesq wrote:

But tht's the way it is - us "old guys" don't stand a chance :-)

Some of us old folks have learned to embrace change. WiFi, Bluetooth, and the built-in trackpad have virtually eliminated the need for me to plug in anything on a regular basis except the charging cable for my Watch.

You can certainly let Apple know your thoughts on the matter here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 22, 2023 6:02 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks, but weight is a factor since when I am not at home, it travels in a camera bag, and I prefer the lighter weight of the Air.

I wish "they" would not keep "improving" so what I already have becomes obsolete OR requires one to purchase more products. But tht's the way it is - us "old guys" don't stand a chance :-)

Feb 23, 2023 7:01 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

WiFI & Bluetooth are great additions. Can't use a trackpad when using the external monitor because case has to be closed/ Trued 2 different bluetooth mice, and neither were smooth enough (and one kept losing power prematurely), so use an Apple USB mouse. And a plugged in Network cable due to the inconsistency of the WiFi signal in my office. But, I'm probably more acepting of these changes than mostp eople my age. I can still remember making punch cards in FOrtran 2! :-)

Feb 23, 2023 9:18 AM in response to gwesq

gwesq wrote:

How would I connect all these devices to the new "improved" computer without all the USB ports & the SD card slot?

The Air is a basic model made for those who don't need the 'extras'. You would need to buy one of the Mac Pros which has the built-in hardware that meets your needs. I'm an old guy too but I still buy the tools that fit my needs.

Feb 23, 2023 10:48 AM in response to gwesq

gwesq wrote:

I can still remember making punch cards in FOrtran 2! :-)

I learned to program on a remote terminal to a time-shared computer using punch tape.

Based on your description, you don't need to have those things plugged in all the time. Get a hub for your office, perhaps another for your home if you have an external monitor there. When you're out and about, and not carrying the external monitor and have access to better WiFi, you won't need all those ports. Carry the adapter for your SD card reader (or get one that works with the ports) and you have your lighter machine. Best of both worlds.

USB Ports in new MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.