Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook making a crackling sound.

For the last few days, my MacBook has been making a crackling sort of sound when I pick it up, like it's coming from underneath the MacBook. I've only noticed that this happens when it's hot and the fan is running. Any reason for concern?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:58 PM

Cleo_98 Said:

"The game isn't downloaded though the App Store, it was downloaded through Safari."

-------

Contact the Developer:

Purchased in the App Store or not, contact the Developer. You'd find their Contact Us info in the Help menu of the game, or in a receipt eMail, or on their own site.

15 replies

Feb 22, 2023 5:22 PM in response to Cleo_98

Cleo_98 Said:

MacBook making a crackling sound.: Conveniently it hasn't done it for the last hour, and I'm not sure what part of the memory section, I'm looking at. But looking at the box at the bottom it's using around 6.59GB and the memory pressure is staying the same.

———-

Thank you for the screenshot.

About RAM and the Activity Monitor:

If it the game is able to run, then you are meeting the minimum RAM requirements. RAM (Random Access Memory) is designed for multitasking (running many things at once). So, if 95% of it is being used, then too much is being put on the RAM to let the CPU sit aside and do its thing. From what is provided, roughly 83% of the RAM is in use. If you are running the game, then this just fine. However, if you run the game and the RAM usage percentage increases to 95%, then it is the game giving you the issues. (8*.95 = 7.6GB of RAM being used). Hope that makes this clear.

Feb 22, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Cleo_98

Cleo_98 Said:

MacBook making a crackling sound.: Okay, thank you! Yes, that makes it clearer. The memory used is staying pretty level, around 82-83%, so will keep an eye on it and check it the next time it makes the sound, and see how much is being used then.

———-

Proud my reply was clear and helped. If you get any issues, reply back. I am eager to know.

Feb 22, 2023 3:28 PM in response to Cleo_98

Cleo_98 Said:

"MacBook making a crackling sound.: For the last few days, my MacBook has been making a crackling sort of sound when I pick it up, like it's coming from underneath the MacBook. I've only noticed that this happens when it's hot and the fan is running. Any reason for concern?"

-------

Troubleshooting Speakers and Fan:

Use Activity Monitor:

See, and report back, what it taking the most out of the CPU. Is it Google Chrome? Or is is something else? To Find Out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: Memory column

Feb 22, 2023 4:12 PM in response to Cleo_98

Cleo_98 Said:

"MacBook making a crackling sound.: Okay, I'll try that. Do you know what might be causing the crackling thought? Could it be that the battery is getting too hot?"

-------

Troubleshooting an Overheating Mac:

Something is digging into the sources of the RAM or CPU.

A. Games:

If the game is the culprit, then it is likely a corrupt install. So, that is why to uninstall it. Request a new key (if applicable) when requesting a new install file.

B. Use Activity Monitor:

So, what is taking the most out of the RAM. Is it Microsoft Word? Or is is something else? To find out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: Memory column

Feb 22, 2023 3:48 PM in response to Cleo_98

Cleo_98 Said:

"MacBook making a crackling sound.: It's most likely the game I'm playing on it, as it gets hot when I'm gaming, and that's when I notice the crackling sound."

-------

Why Risk a Damaged Mac?

I recommend you uninstall the game. Contact the Developer, asking them what is going on here. You'll find their Contact Us info in the app's site of the App Store.

MacBook making a crackling sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.