Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find the corrupted file that's interfering with mail download

I have the same question that "My mail is stuck on download, (300 messages!)" has.. I've done what was suggested in that thread. I disabled all my accounts, turned off wifi, and restarted my laptop. Then turned wifi back on and enabled one account at a time. I've been monitoring the what happens in Window>activity. All the other accounts are fine( there's 5 total) but the last one, the biggest gets stuck. According to the answer in that above mentioned post, it's most likely because of a corrupted file or preference file. How do I find the offending file?

I'm using Gmail in Apple Mail (I like the interface better and I can check all 5 accounts from one place). The laptop is brand new Air, and this problem is part of the change I think.

Thanks

marie

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 8:39 PM

Thanks for answering. I ended up disabling all the email, restarting Mail and then enabling each account one at a time. Everything went well until the last and largest account. That got hung. Since Mail worked fine until the 18th I deleted all the files from the 18th as an experiment. It worked. I still appreciate your answer and may come back to if if the problem resurfaces.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 8:39 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks for answering. I ended up disabling all the email, restarting Mail and then enabling each account one at a time. Everything went well until the last and largest account. That got hung. Since Mail worked fine until the 18th I deleted all the files from the 18th as an experiment. It worked. I still appreciate your answer and may come back to if if the problem resurfaces.

Feb 22, 2023 9:36 PM in response to imcarmel

Hi there!

First, startup into Safe mode on your Mac, and see if Mail can finish the download. Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

If the issue persists, reinstall macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Reinstalling macOS does not remove data from your Mac, however, before installing, it’s a good idea to back up your Mac

While installing, avoid putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac will restart, and it might show a progress bar or blank screen several times. 

Jack

How do I find the corrupted file that's interfering with mail download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.