Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying 'Trust this computer?' pop-up when charging iPhone

My iMac has a 10 port powered USB 3.0 hub attached. I plug my iPhone into the powered hub to charge it.

I’ve have started getting a window pop up every time I plug in my iPhone regarding backing it up. I have to clear it by entering my passcode on my iPhone which now says “Trust this computer?”. I enter the passcode and it disappears.

Five minutes later it does it again.

And again five minutes later.

In fact it will go on doing this for a long as I’m charging my iPhone and it interrupts at awkward moments such as in the middle of typing an email or, during a phone call and I am referring to stuff onscreen on my iMac.

On my iMac, is it possible to suppress this?

I understand it asking me once. I don’t understand why it needs to pester me with this every few minutes. It’s a right pain.

iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 12:36 PM

Hey El Deanio,

From what you've described, it sounds like your iPhone is intermittently disconnecting from your iMac. To help isolate the issue, we recommend testing different connectivity methods:

• Test different ports on your iMac.
  • Try a different charging cable for your iPhone.
  • Test with the iPhone charging cable plugged directly into your iMac.

If the alert continues to pop up while connected in those configurations, we recommend following the steps from this support article: About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1. "Make sure that your computer has the latest version of macOS or the latest version of iTunes
  2. Disconnect and reconnect your device from your computer.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Restart your device:

5.Reset your Location & Privacy settings.

If the above steps don't help, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before."

Let us know how it goes! Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 12:36 PM in response to El Deanio

Hey El Deanio,

From what you've described, it sounds like your iPhone is intermittently disconnecting from your iMac. To help isolate the issue, we recommend testing different connectivity methods:

• Test different ports on your iMac.
  • Try a different charging cable for your iPhone.
  • Test with the iPhone charging cable plugged directly into your iMac.

If the alert continues to pop up while connected in those configurations, we recommend following the steps from this support article: About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1. "Make sure that your computer has the latest version of macOS or the latest version of iTunes
  2. Disconnect and reconnect your device from your computer.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Restart your device:

5.Reset your Location & Privacy settings.

If the above steps don't help, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before."

Let us know how it goes! Take care.

Feb 26, 2023 9:53 AM in response to bbesspete

Hi bbesspete.

I forgot to mention that I have been getting this odd MobileDeviceHelper crash report too.

Anyway, this morning I found an update to iOS - 16.3.1 for my iPhone. Although my iPhone is set to automatically update, the update may have been there waiting for me to install it.

It’s been a couple of hours now and it seems to have calmed down somewhat. Hopefully it will still be okay tomorrow and onwards.

Thank you sooooo much for your help! I have bookmarked this for future reference.

Annoying 'Trust this computer?' pop-up when charging iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.