Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages locks up when deleting text or image text

On my iMac 27"2017 and running Monterey 12.4 when trying to delete a text or image on Messages (v14 (6000) it locks up/freezes with endless spinning ball and requires a forced quit. Restarting has had no effect. Also noticed that at same time some texts are not syncing, not all with my other devices. All other devices do sync except only some (weird) on my iMac.

Monterey & Messages both with latest updates.

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 2:32 PM

You don't know what you're talking about. Here's why Etrecheck is not in the App Store:

Apple wanted me to classify it as an antivirus app, which it isn't. Apple imposes certain technical limitations on all apps in the Mac App Store. These limitations make a true antivirus app impossible in the Mac App Store. EtreCheck is a tricky app. Sometimes people think it is some kind of magic "fix it" or "clean up" app, in spite of all information I can provide to the contrary. So I'm very careful about making any claims about what it can or can't do. So rather than fight with Apple about what EtreCheck couldn't do, I pulled it from the store.… per the developer

Apple's criteria is do no harm. But it doesn't require that is does good, only that Apple gets their cut of the proceeds.

As far as recommendations see here

So be a bit more accurate in your statements.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 2:32 PM in response to Pete Dubaj

You don't know what you're talking about. Here's why Etrecheck is not in the App Store:

Apple wanted me to classify it as an antivirus app, which it isn't. Apple imposes certain technical limitations on all apps in the Mac App Store. These limitations make a true antivirus app impossible in the Mac App Store. EtreCheck is a tricky app. Sometimes people think it is some kind of magic "fix it" or "clean up" app, in spite of all information I can provide to the contrary. So I'm very careful about making any claims about what it can or can't do. So rather than fight with Apple about what EtreCheck couldn't do, I pulled it from the store.… per the developer

Apple's criteria is do no harm. But it doesn't require that is does good, only that Apple gets their cut of the proceeds.

As far as recommendations see here

So be a bit more accurate in your statements.

Feb 24, 2023 2:59 AM in response to Pete Dubaj

" On my iMac 27"2017 and running Monterey 12.4 " was released May 16, 2022 Monterey macOS 12.4 ( 21F79 )

I would first Start by updating the computer to the Current version of Monterey 12.6.3 released Jan 23, 2023

Once that is achieved, then and only the Test if this issue persists.

Links below on this topic

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.3 - Apple Support

Feb 23, 2023 11:49 AM in response to Pete Dubaj

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Feb 24, 2023 3:13 AM in response to Pete Dubaj

If the user actually knew the reason why the Developer is not longer on the Apple Apps Store perhaps the assertion above would look a bit different

From my dealing Directly with the Developer of Etrecheck Report - Apple was Insisting the Application to be classified as AntiVirus Software which it is not. It is also reported that Apple Insisted on Crippling the Application making it useless for purpose.

The there was the requirements by Apple to get a Big Cut of the Pie on each and every Sale of this Application on the Apple Apps Store

Right or wrong - the Developer chose to Not be on the Apple Apps Store

With all this mind and be very away, Apple itself has been reported to use the very same Application when diagnosing certain Computer Issue .

Arrive at you own conclusions

My Money is on Safe to use .

Yes I own a Licensed Copy of Etrecheck

" A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing" - Alexander Pope 

Messages locks up when deleting text or image text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.