Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi Output Device Not Working with Audio Interface + BlackHole into OBS

Been trying to troubleshoot this for a couple days now. I'm trying to output my audio through a multi-channel output in the Audio Midi Setup for OBS. Inside the Midi Setup, I setup a multi-output device and have my Interface (Apogee Duet) setup as the first check and the BlackHole 16ch setup as the second check.

OBS is capturing my microphone input fine, (input is set as my Apogee), but not getting any audio from my computer(BlackHole Ch16). My guess is that this is an issue with my iMac's Multi Output Device. I can switch my computer's main output to the Apogee Duet and hear it fine, but I get no audio into OBS. When I switch my main output to the BlackHole 16ch, I get the Audio from the computer, but I can no longer hear it through my Apogee Duet.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 10:19 AM

Okay, I found a work around for the issue.

For my Multi Output Device, I have to have my first output set as Built-In Output and second output as BlackHole 16Ch. And then I can set my main computer output to the Multi Output Device and it plays through my computer speakers and is captured by OBS

It seems the issue is with my Apogee Duet. I tried reinstalling the software and updating the firmware, but didn't seem to work. It's old, from like 2013, so maybe it's just too old to work. I dunno.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 10:19 AM in response to jmurray1155

Okay, I found a work around for the issue.

For my Multi Output Device, I have to have my first output set as Built-In Output and second output as BlackHole 16Ch. And then I can set my main computer output to the Multi Output Device and it plays through my computer speakers and is captured by OBS

It seems the issue is with my Apogee Duet. I tried reinstalling the software and updating the firmware, but didn't seem to work. It's old, from like 2013, so maybe it's just too old to work. I dunno.

Feb 24, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, In OBS I have two audio sources. One is a Microphone with the input from my Duet which is working. The other source is "Audio Output Capture" which is setup to have the BlackHole Ch16 as the input. This is only works when I set the Main Output for my entire computer to BlackHole Ch16. But then I can no longer hear anything since there's no output to my Audio Interface.

If my Main Output is set to multi-channel output that I setup in my Audio Midi Setup (which includes my 1.) Apogee Duet Interface and 2.) BlackHole Ch16), I get no audio input to the Audio Output Capture in OBS, and I cannot hear anything through my headphones either, which should be receiving audio as well.

Feb 24, 2023 9:17 AM in response to jmurray1155

I don't know how significant this is, but I only have ever used the 2ch version. Maybe you can try that instead of 16ch and see if it makes a difference.

Also, just in case the issue is peculiar to OBS (which I do have but am not competent at): try a simple test.

Set output to the multi-output device, and play something; in Quicktime Player, do File->New Audio Recording, choose BlackHole as the source, and record for a bit. Does the sound recording come out ok?

Feb 24, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yep I also installed the 2 ch version and tried all the steps with the Multi Output Device, that didn't work either.

Ok, I tried your test.

It only worked if I had 1) the microphone on Quicktime set to BlackHole 16ch and 2) my main computer output set to BlackHole 16ch.

If I had 1) the microphone on Quicktime set to BlackHole 16ch and 2) my main computer output set to Duet Apogee, it did not work.

Multi Output Device Not Working with Audio Interface + BlackHole into OBS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.