Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to rent movies on Apple TV

Able to purchase songs on iTunes but not movies

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 8:13 AM

1. On iPhone (and iPad) you can find movies to rent in the Apple TV app (Store tab), and also in the iTunes Store app (Movies tab). Or use Search in each app.
  2. In the Apple TV app on the Apple TV box, or on smart TVs or on third party streaming devices, or on Mac, you should also be able to rent movie titles. Some exceptions apply (Fire TV, Sony TV, Android TV) [2], then use e.g. iPhone instead for the transaction.
  3. In the iTunes application on older Macs or current PCs with Windows, you should also be able to select movies to rent.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Apple TV app - Apple Store preview - Apple

iTunes Store app - App Store preview - Apple

Rent or Buy movie purchases will be added to your account Library, and will be available on any of your devices with the Apple TV app or computers with the iTunes application.

Some titles on subscription services may not be available to rent, for exclusivity reasons.

A few titles are available for buy, but not for rent (yet), per movie supplier decision.

Some titles that are available in both subscription streaming services and in the iTunes Store for movies, may default to one or the other in the Apple TV app. Scroll down to How to Watch to select a different content provider option.

What happens instead when you try to rent a movie? Can you find the [Rent] button for a chosen movie title? Can you proceed to confirming with Face ID (if you have set that up), or else enter your Apple ID account password, to confirm the purchase?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2023 8:13 AM in response to mubeen184

1. On iPhone (and iPad) you can find movies to rent in the Apple TV app (Store tab), and also in the iTunes Store app (Movies tab). Or use Search in each app.
  2. In the Apple TV app on the Apple TV box, or on smart TVs or on third party streaming devices, or on Mac, you should also be able to rent movie titles. Some exceptions apply (Fire TV, Sony TV, Android TV) [2], then use e.g. iPhone instead for the transaction.
  3. In the iTunes application on older Macs or current PCs with Windows, you should also be able to select movies to rent.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Apple TV app - Apple Store preview - Apple

iTunes Store app - App Store preview - Apple

Rent or Buy movie purchases will be added to your account Library, and will be available on any of your devices with the Apple TV app or computers with the iTunes application.

Some titles on subscription services may not be available to rent, for exclusivity reasons.

A few titles are available for buy, but not for rent (yet), per movie supplier decision.

Some titles that are available in both subscription streaming services and in the iTunes Store for movies, may default to one or the other in the Apple TV app. Scroll down to How to Watch to select a different content provider option.

What happens instead when you try to rent a movie? Can you find the [Rent] button for a chosen movie title? Can you proceed to confirming with Face ID (if you have set that up), or else enter your Apple ID account password, to confirm the purchase?

Feb 26, 2023 3:19 PM in response to mubeen184

What happens instead when you try to rent a movie?

Are there any indications, in e.g. error messages, that the issue could be related to your account or payment method?

See if there are known issues at Apple: System status - Apple Support.

Else contact Apple Support to help investigate this issue. They may be able to verify more in their administration.

Feb 28, 2023 5:32 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for the insight. I think you are on the right track. My Apple TV app seems to work intermittently. It just let me rent a movie again. I know this is not related to my payment method since my credit cards work fine everywhere else. No issues with Apple ID. This is a bit beyond me since I am not Tech savvy. Nonetheless thanks for all your input.

Sincerely,

Unable to rent movies on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.