Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iCloud Photos Library on my iMac instead of in the Cloud ?

I'm using iCloud Drive with all my Data.

It seems to me that the iCloud Photos Library file is placed locally in my iMac instead of in the cloud , is it normal ?

Any reply will be appreciated.

iMac

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 9:01 PM

If you have iCloud Photos enabled, then your photo library is in iCloud, and copies of the photos are cached locally. In this case, higher-resolution copies are cached locally.

A common source of consternation: If you delete photos locally with iCloud Photos enabled, the photos are deleted everywhere.

As for safety, here is how to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Downloading originals as configured here also means you can export and archive those full resolution photos locally.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 9:01 PM in response to rony-z

If you have iCloud Photos enabled, then your photo library is in iCloud, and copies of the photos are cached locally. In this case, higher-resolution copies are cached locally.

A common source of consternation: If you delete photos locally with iCloud Photos enabled, the photos are deleted everywhere.

As for safety, here is how to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Downloading originals as configured here also means you can export and archive those full resolution photos locally.

Is iCloud Photos Library on my iMac instead of in the Cloud ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.