Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery mode for iPad w/o iTunes on Catalina

How can I do a “restore iPad” when my Macbook runs on macOS Catalina and iTunes is no longer available?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 11:08 AM

Hey there summerfrmnl,

You would use Finder. Here’s how:

1. "On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode
  4. Select your device when it appears on your computer. Learn what to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is unresponsive or won't turn on. Or get help if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
  5. Click Restore [device]. If you're signed into Find My, you need to sign out before you can click Restore.
  6. Click Restore again to confirm. Your computer erases your device and installs the latest iOS, iPadOS, or iPod software.
  7. After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new."

You can read more here:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 11:08 AM in response to summerfrmnl

Hey there summerfrmnl,

You would use Finder. Here’s how:

1. "On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode
  4. Select your device when it appears on your computer. Learn what to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is unresponsive or won't turn on. Or get help if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
  5. Click Restore [device]. If you're signed into Find My, you need to sign out before you can click Restore.
  6. Click Restore again to confirm. Your computer erases your device and installs the latest iOS, iPadOS, or iPod software.
  7. After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new."

You can read more here:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Take care.

Recovery mode for iPad w/o iTunes on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.