Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to verify update because you're no longer connected to the Internet...

Apple, what is your deal recently?! I've spent more time in this community forum in the past month than I have in the past TWO YEARS. Ridiculous!!

Anyway, this time around I'm having problems upgrading my iPhone 11 Pro from iOS version 16.1.1 to version 16.3.1. I keep getting an error message along the lines of "Update cannot be verified because you're no longer connected to the internet."

*I AM CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!!*

I have done the whole "reset the phone" thing -- must've rebooted it half-a-dozen times now. Both by pressing volume-up and power then sliding the "slide to power off" thingy to the right, and by pressing volume-up then volume-down then holding the power button for 20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

I've done the "delete the update file and try downloading it again" thing. Multiple times. With a reboot thrown in there for good measure after deleting the downloaded file but before telling it to download the file again.

I'm not connected to the internet via a VPN -- straight to my WiFi Access Point, which is connected via a 1Gb ethernet cable to my cable modem.

My internet isn't coming and going -- I have a very strong WiFI connection. When I run the SpeedTest app on my phone, I get 514 Mbps download, 36.6 Mbps upload, 16ms of latency and 2ms of "jitter." So my internet is STRONG!

And even though my internet is strong, I *STILL* click the "use cellular data, if needed" button when the update asks me if I want to use cellular data... So it should be verifying via cellular data if need be.

So what is going on here?!!! This is RIDICULOUS!!! I've been trying to install this stupid update for DAYS now!!! What else is there to do that I haven't done already?!!

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 12:56 PM

I *do* have a connection to cellular data. And WiFi. Both. It keeps failing. I finally had to connect the stupid thing to my computer to get it to update, and even then it didn't do it easily. Clearly something on my iPhone was messed up.

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 25, 2023 12:40 PM in response to Laurence5905

So I finally had to FORCE my Mac to reboot by holding down the power button for 10 seconds... I unplugged my phone before forcing the Mac to reboot...

After the Mac rebooted, I plugged my phone into it and it FINALLY popped up the message "There's a problem with the [your device name] that requires it to be updated or restored." like what this page here said it would do: If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

So it *FINALLY* did the update!!!! What an ordeal!!!! This has been the most ridiculous update I've ever had to go through, and I've had iPhones since the iPhone Six Plus!!! That's NINE YEARS if anyone's counting!

Feb 25, 2023 12:26 PM in response to Laurence5905

Well this is fun... I found an article telling me to do the update by plugging the phone into my Mac and using iTunes. Of course, iTunes hasn't existed for YEARS now, but I guess that doesn't stop these people from posting this kind of stuff...

Anyway, I plugged it in and Finder recognized it and allowed me to run an update directly from Finder... Interesting... (Of course, I had to find a USB-C to Lightning cable before I could do any of this. *eyeroll* )

Aaaaand now my phone is stuck in "restore" mode. It shows a link to If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and I've followed the instructions on that page -- AND THE MAC STILL SAYS "PREPARING FOR UPDATE" AND THE IPHONE KEEPS GOING BACK TO THAT STUPID RESTORE SCREEN!!!!!

EDIT: I tried rebooting the Mac and it won't reboot because "there is an iOS process still running. Wait until it finishes and try rebooting again.'

[Edited by Moderator] 

Feb 25, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Laurence5905

Laurence5905 wrote:

Well this is fun... I found an article telling me to do the update by plugging the phone into my Mac and using iTunes. Of course, iTunes hasn't existed for YEARS now, but I guess that doesn't stop these people from posting this kind of stuff...

iTunes is alive and well, and available for Windows and versions of MacOS older that Catalina. Whatever article you found wasn’t a recent or correct one. Here is the real thing→Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. Note that it has links to:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

and

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes - Apple Support

Unable to verify update because you're no longer connected to the Internet...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.