Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 14"-- Dictation just stops working, restart fixes it

For some months now dictation on my MacBook will just stop working. I can trigger the small window showing the mic by pressing the fn key twice, and everything looks normal, but nothing is typed when I dictate. If I restart, dictation starts working again perfectly. I have no devices attached to the Mac. Does anyone have a solution or is this a bug? Thanks.

2021 MacBook Pro M1, 14"

macOS 13.2.1

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 7:32 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Still issues >>

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Still having issue >>

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2023 7:32 AM in response to West-East

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Still issues >>

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Still having issue >>

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Feb 26, 2023 1:29 PM in response to West-East

Welcome.

Yes, starting the computer maybe every week or max of two weeks maybe be beneficial to both the User and the Computer.

If nothing else, restarting the computer will clear all the Applications processes stuck in RAM.

Experiment on a 1 week cycle for say a month and take notice if the Issue decreases or is eliminated

Then, say every two weeks on a trial basis

Feb 26, 2023 10:38 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you, I will try this list of actions the next time dictation stops working. It may be a couple of days from now or longer before it happens again, it is so unpredictable, but it will happen. I rarely restart my Mac, but maybe if I did every week or so I wouldn't experience this problem. I'm dictating right now and it's working beautifully.

MacBook Pro M1 14"-- Dictation just stops working, restart fixes it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.