Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authentication Broken?

Hello Apple People,

I recently upgraded to latest macOS and iPhone versions. Now software fails to handle manually entered passwords.

Some dialogs are clear and always work, like when opening a Numbers file on macOS (see photo pasted at bottom).

When AirDrop was hobbled, I began using Finder and USB-to-iPhone to copy Numbers files from macOS to iPhone. (Yes, I sometimes intentionally don't use iCloud.)

It is no longer possible to enter password when trying to open a newly copied file from macOS. You can click Home button 10 times to break touch-id and force manual password entry, but it Never offers manual password, just flashes a manual password prompt (which looks awful BTW) and then restores modal touch-id request.

I see similar behavior trying to manually login to iCloud on macOS. Clicking Safari Sign-In button at discussions.apple.com raises yet another dialog with no "Use Password" option. In this case, one must try clicking "Use a different Apple ID" (even though user's problem is not with the default ID), then enter the default ID again, then finally user receives a dialog with both "Enter Password OR Touch-ID" options.

All of these little not-a-show-stopper bugs end up being a significant time sink.

I don't know if this is an issue worth discussing, or if Apple is already aware of the inconsistencies, but some kind of common presentation where "password or touch" always works the first time everywhere just seems Better than the potpourri of approaches I see today.

Thanks,

-dave

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 12:00 PM

Good afternoon dhave,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

Apple welcomes and encourages your feedback and suggestions about authentication.

Please provide them here:  Product Feedback - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply

Authentication Broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.