Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find my app

why does the find my app never get my iphone location right?

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:58 PM

The Why: Find My works by sending regular positional updates to Apple servers that are derived from Wi-Fi, cellular data, and GPS signals. The location's accuracy would then be dependent on any one of those three things.

The iPhone scans for nearby Wi-Fi networks and send a snapshot of that information to the Apple servers. If this is your home's Wi-Fi network that would depend on your wireless router's WAN-side IP address that is provided by your ISP.

Another reason, would be if you have your iPhone connected via a VPN. This can "fool" the Apple servers to where your phone is located.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2023 2:58 PM in response to alondramserna

The Why: Find My works by sending regular positional updates to Apple servers that are derived from Wi-Fi, cellular data, and GPS signals. The location's accuracy would then be dependent on any one of those three things.

The iPhone scans for nearby Wi-Fi networks and send a snapshot of that information to the Apple servers. If this is your home's Wi-Fi network that would depend on your wireless router's WAN-side IP address that is provided by your ISP.

Another reason, would be if you have your iPhone connected via a VPN. This can "fool" the Apple servers to where your phone is located.

find my app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.