Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting e-mails from icloud that says my storage is full and I can get 50 gb of storage for free but need to supply my credit card numbers. Is this legitimate? I notice in the e-mail the word "receive" is misspelled also which is a red flag.

I keep getting e-mails from icloud that says my storage is full and I can get 50 gb of storage for free but need to supply my credit card numbers. Is this legitimate? I notice in the e-mail the word "receive" is misspelled also which is a red flag.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 11:10 AM

Hi there JoyceK57,

The email you received definitely sounds like a phishing attempt and not an actual email from Apple. You can't get 50GB of iCloud storage for free and a real email from Apple won't ask for your credit card information. Also, misspelled words are a good indicator that the email isn't genuine. To learn more about phishing emails, have a look at this information:

How to identify fraudulent emails and messages
Scammers try to copy email and text messages from legitimate companies to trick you into giving them your personal information and passwords. These signs can help you identify phishing emails: 
- The sender’s email or phone doesn’t match the name of the company that it claims to be from.
- The email or phone they used to contact you is different from the one that you gave that company.
- A link in a message looks right, but the URL doesn’t match the company’s website.2
- The message looks significantly different from other messages that you’ve received from the company.
- The message requests personal information, like a credit card number or account password.
- The message is unsolicited and contains an attachment.

You'll find this information here: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you do want to upgrade your iCloud storage, follow the steps in this link: Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2023 11:10 AM in response to JoyceK57

Hi there JoyceK57,

The email you received definitely sounds like a phishing attempt and not an actual email from Apple. You can't get 50GB of iCloud storage for free and a real email from Apple won't ask for your credit card information. Also, misspelled words are a good indicator that the email isn't genuine. To learn more about phishing emails, have a look at this information:

How to identify fraudulent emails and messages
Scammers try to copy email and text messages from legitimate companies to trick you into giving them your personal information and passwords. These signs can help you identify phishing emails: 
- The sender’s email or phone doesn’t match the name of the company that it claims to be from.
- The email or phone they used to contact you is different from the one that you gave that company.
- A link in a message looks right, but the URL doesn’t match the company’s website.2
- The message looks significantly different from other messages that you’ve received from the company.
- The message requests personal information, like a credit card number or account password.
- The message is unsolicited and contains an attachment.

You'll find this information here: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you do want to upgrade your iCloud storage, follow the steps in this link: Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

Take care.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.