Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages annoyances!

Hi all,

For the most part, Pages serves me well, however, I do have a few annoyances and perhaps someone here has some helpful hacks?:

1. Whenever I want to convert a Doc to a PDF, I have to make a duplicate first to save the original. Why doesn't it automatically save the original before converting it to a PDF? There must be a way to do this seamlessly?
  2. I know this is possible in Word, if I make some changes to a doc and change the name Word would save it as a new doc, but with Pages it would update the original doc even if I change the name! - this makes me insane!...LOL. - there must be a way around this too?

FYI, I'm doing this for Resumes.

Please advise. I appreciate your help!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 10:47 AM

1. A Pages document, or a Word .doc document? If a Pages document, you initially manually save the document via the File menu, and after that is done, any subsequent changes in the Pages document are autosaved. No need at all to duplicate the Pages document before Exporting (or printing) to PDF.
    1. If you are referring to a Word (.doc) document, then once it is opened in Pages, the content is translated to Pages internal document format and the original Word document remains unchanged.
  2. Changing the name of a Pages document only updates that name in the Finder without saving or changing its contents. Pages retains versions of your document changes, so there is no reason to duplicate the document with every editing session. That just produces confusion.
    1. Pages is not a Word clone and Apple made no attempt to endow Pages with Word features. You might be better served by using MS Word on a résumé, because if you are required to submit a Word document and not a PDF, the applicant tracking software will assume it is scanning a document created by MS Word.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 10:47 AM in response to rocker71

1. A Pages document, or a Word .doc document? If a Pages document, you initially manually save the document via the File menu, and after that is done, any subsequent changes in the Pages document are autosaved. No need at all to duplicate the Pages document before Exporting (or printing) to PDF.
    1. If you are referring to a Word (.doc) document, then once it is opened in Pages, the content is translated to Pages internal document format and the original Word document remains unchanged.
  2. Changing the name of a Pages document only updates that name in the Finder without saving or changing its contents. Pages retains versions of your document changes, so there is no reason to duplicate the document with every editing session. That just produces confusion.
    1. Pages is not a Word clone and Apple made no attempt to endow Pages with Word features. You might be better served by using MS Word on a résumé, because if you are required to submit a Word document and not a PDF, the applicant tracking software will assume it is scanning a document created by MS Word.

Mar 23, 2023 12:45 PM in response to rocker71

Each resume and cover letter should be difference based on what the job posting is telling you and how you can position your quantified results experience on both documents. I used to make the cover letter the first page and subsequent pages the resume — in one document. That avoids the recipient losing your cover letter.

Unless you are physically handing someone a hard copy of your resume, understand that most electronic submissions are scanned by application tracking software which has about a 96% rejection rate. Human resources are not looking for the best or brightest person for the job, just those that are "good enough" to pass off to the hiring manager as interview candidates.

Pages annoyances!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.