Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple compass issues (iphone and watch)

My iphone 13 and apple watch are both having compass issues. They are both off by about 120 degrees. I have done all the steps I can find and nothing is working. When facing north both devices are reading around 240 degrees. How do I fix this issue.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 1:57 PM

The presence of magnets can affect the accuracy of any compass sensor. Apple's Leather Link, Leather Loop, Milanese Loop, and earlier Sport Loop watch bands use magnets or magnetic material that might interfere with the Apple Watch compass. The compass isn't affected by Sport Loop bands introduced in September 2019 or later, or any version of the Sport Band. For m ore info, see:

Use the compass on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see:

Use the compass on iPhone - Apple Support

Even iPhone EarPods and cases with external batteries can affect the compass.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 1:57 PM in response to laxin13

The presence of magnets can affect the accuracy of any compass sensor. Apple's Leather Link, Leather Loop, Milanese Loop, and earlier Sport Loop watch bands use magnets or magnetic material that might interfere with the Apple Watch compass. The compass isn't affected by Sport Loop bands introduced in September 2019 or later, or any version of the Sport Band. For m ore info, see:

Use the compass on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see:

Use the compass on iPhone - Apple Support

Even iPhone EarPods and cases with external batteries can affect the compass.

Feb 28, 2023 11:14 AM in response to laxin13

I just got thinking about this some more.

Did you know that you can change the settings, of your watch and your iPhone, to use True North rather than magnetic North?

From either device, Settings > Compass, click toggle for True North

The difference weirds me out, but I wondered if maybe you were in an area with high disturbance when you were seeing 120° off 🤷‍♂️

Apple compass issues (iphone and watch)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.