Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Big Sur 11 .7.4 still shows an update available and spins for hours

Mac OS Big Sur 11 .7.4 still shows an update available and spins for hours. What can I do to fix this ?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 5:34 PM

garydschneideryahoocom wrote:

Mac OS Big Sur 11 .7.4 still shows an update available and spins for hours. What can I do to fix this ?

I understand Software Update is "Checking for updates..." with no end in sight.

This is a known bug. Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM. Try both.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Related: Software Update stuck at "Checking for updates"… - Apple Community

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 5:34 PM in response to garydschneideryahoocom

garydschneideryahoocom wrote:

I understand Software Update is "Checking for updates..." with no end in sight.

This is a known bug. Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM. Try both.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Related: Software Update stuck at "Checking for updates"… - Apple Community

Feb 28, 2023 6:49 AM in response to garydschneideryahoocom

The last I looked Big Sur 11.7.4 is the last upDate available.

Just checked before posting in reply.

Does the user actually mean an upGrade as in a Newer Version of macOS like Monterey or Ventura.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and

Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences

Mac OS Big Sur 11 .7.4 still shows an update available and spins for hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.