Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted some messages that I wanted to keep. I do not know how to get them back. It said that They are permanently deleted.

How do I get messages back that i accidentally deleted?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 5:53 PM

The support article above your name details information about retrieving messages.

In general.....

You must have iOS 16 installed on the phone

The messages must have been deleted....after....you installed iOS 16

No more than 30 days have passed since the message was originally deleted

When you delete a message, it goes into a Recently Deleted folder. If you delete the message from that folder, it is permanently and instantly gone.

Otherwise, a message in the Recently Deleted folder will be automatically permanently deleted after 30 days.

So, if you don't see the message you deleted in the Recently Deleted folder, it is gone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Kate_Douglas27

The support article above your name details information about retrieving messages.

In general.....

You must have iOS 16 installed on the phone

The messages must have been deleted....after....you installed iOS 16

No more than 30 days have passed since the message was originally deleted

When you delete a message, it goes into a Recently Deleted folder. If you delete the message from that folder, it is permanently and instantly gone.

Otherwise, a message in the Recently Deleted folder will be automatically permanently deleted after 30 days.

So, if you don't see the message you deleted in the Recently Deleted folder, it is gone.

I accidentally deleted some messages that I wanted to keep. I do not know how to get them back. It said that They are permanently deleted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.