Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro OS monterey

Folks, I'm in a quandary...

I'm trying to update a MacBook Pro (late 2015) to OS Monterey (was running Mojave). The update tried to install, got the error massage stating that the firmware couldn't be updated.

Reading indicates that I needed an OE Mac SSD installed to get the firmware to update. Bought and installed a 512 GB Apple SSD...

Now, with this SSD installed - the MacBook will run, but will not update the OS beyond Yosemite, and won't open any USB devices I connect, requires a password...

How do I get this **** thing to load up & install Monterey?? (Frustrated)...

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 1:13 PM

What I ended up doing, and it worked was - reset the SMC and PRAM a couple of times... Attached a USB bootable drive with Mojave on it. Started the MacBook and held down the 'Option' key which allowed me to choose the startup disc. Chose the Mojave. The laptop loaded up and was working on the UB drive, so I reformatted the internal SSD to APFS (which was unavailable via the recovery mode), and copied the Mojave software onto the SSD.

Then, I rebooted the MacBook using the SSD's Mojave, which worked! Finally, I was able to update to Monterey, which is now working...

Resetting the SMC & PRAM apparently allowed the MacBook to see the USB drive during startup...

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2023 1:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

What I ended up doing, and it worked was - reset the SMC and PRAM a couple of times... Attached a USB bootable drive with Mojave on it. Started the MacBook and held down the 'Option' key which allowed me to choose the startup disc. Chose the Mojave. The laptop loaded up and was working on the UB drive, so I reformatted the internal SSD to APFS (which was unavailable via the recovery mode), and copied the Mojave software onto the SSD.

Then, I rebooted the MacBook using the SSD's Mojave, which worked! Finally, I was able to update to Monterey, which is now working...

Resetting the SMC & PRAM apparently allowed the MacBook to see the USB drive during startup...

Feb 28, 2023 2:04 PM in response to MLS

You need to apply all the software updates available, which will provide Safari 9, which can access the Mac App Store securely, -OR-

use the DIRECT download link directly below. Once you click, it starts the download of 10.11 El Capitan:

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-41424-20191024-218af9ec-cf50-4516-9011-228c78eda3d2/InstallMacOSX.dmg

[This is a Direct Download Link]

macbook pro OS monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.