Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Friends Locations

People and devices menus give different locations for an iPhone XS Max running 16.2. iPhone location seems to update in a more timely manner under the devices menu than under the people menu. How can that be? Seems like a software bug that has recently started occurring.

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:01 PM

I'd recommend first updating to iOS 16.3.1 as it's always good to be running the latest software to see if a potential bug has been resolved. It also addresses an important security flaw that allows for a code execution exploit.

After this, if you haven't already, check your privacy settings. People, Items, and Devices all have their own location privacy settings. It's possible that they are configured differently.

If this doesn't work, try disabling Find My and then re-enabling. After, reboot your devices.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue on any of my devices. I'd recommend first reaching out to Apple Support to see if they're aware of any known issues/fixes. If not, you can always submit a bug report here.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 1:01 PM in response to rshort14

I'd recommend first updating to iOS 16.3.1 as it's always good to be running the latest software to see if a potential bug has been resolved. It also addresses an important security flaw that allows for a code execution exploit.

After this, if you haven't already, check your privacy settings. People, Items, and Devices all have their own location privacy settings. It's possible that they are configured differently.

If this doesn't work, try disabling Find My and then re-enabling. After, reboot your devices.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue on any of my devices. I'd recommend first reaching out to Apple Support to see if they're aware of any known issues/fixes. If not, you can always submit a bug report here.

Find My Friends Locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.