Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why My iMac headset jack does not work and why does it appear in the sound option? Why is there not option to add ‘external speakers “?

My iMac headphones jack has never worked in three years and the headset doesn’t appear in the options section when headphones are plugged in; and there is no option for External Speakers. What can I do to get my headphones jack working and to be able to add external speakers or “line in”?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 5:13 PM

Exactly which Mac, year and model, are you using?

What version macOS are you running?

Find that info by clicking the  (Apple) menu at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac.

(Note- for privacy and security please don’t post your serial number.)

Meanwhile have you given a Safe Boot a try? See if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects  weird software behavior. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Also, in System Information (Option-click the Apple logo  and select System Information), select Audio in the left panel under Hardware and tell us what is reported for Built-in Input and Built-in Output. There should be an Apple device listed for each.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 5:13 PM in response to Majorcol

Exactly which Mac, year and model, are you using?

What version macOS are you running?

Find that info by clicking the  (Apple) menu at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac.

(Note- for privacy and security please don’t post your serial number.)

Meanwhile have you given a Safe Boot a try? See if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects  weird software behavior. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Also, in System Information (Option-click the Apple logo  and select System Information), select Audio in the left panel under Hardware and tell us what is reported for Built-in Input and Built-in Output. There should be an Apple device listed for each.

Why My iMac headset jack does not work and why does it appear in the sound option? Why is there not option to add ‘external speakers “?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.