Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps with new Apple Id

I deleted my apps and tried to re download them (docs) although it shows update and not install and when I press the update button it shows that cannot update because it was purchased or updated from another Apple ID what do I do?

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 12:23 AM

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

An App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you must reacquire the app with your new one. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.2.1; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.3.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.3.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.3.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.3.2; HomePods, audioOS 16.3.3 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2023 12:23 AM in response to avika16

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

An App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you must reacquire the app with your new one. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.2.1; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.3.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.3.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.3.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.3.2; HomePods, audioOS 16.3.3 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Apps with new Apple Id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.